The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Racks dont give much accuracy as far as age goes. Only real way to age a deer "on the hoof" is by looking at body structures.

·
Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
At what year do they get that waddle under the jaw, and start growing the second set of antlers?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
If it weren't for the "goiter," I'd say it was a mount. Based on the antlers, I'd say this is a young-ish deer. Most 3½ year olds ought to be bigger than that -- assuming he hasn't gone hungry.

jrmoonglo said:
Based upon the hairline on the back of the neck it looks photoshopped.
Look also at the base of the G2 on his right antler. This picture -- even if it's real -- has been tinkered with.

Anyway, based on his rack (which you can't base anything on) I give him 2½, or maybe he's 3½. Does the original poster know for sure?

Steve.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
It appears as though there may be a thumb in the bottom of the picture holding the deers'neck. The background has also been changed. I can see a shadow from the deers' right antler and chin on the background as well. The hairline on his back is also messed up. It is most definitely a mount, and just a slightly above average one, but if I had to guess on age, I would say just looking at the antlers and coloration, it is an old age class deer, downhill phases.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are a riot! LOL

It's a mount and I took the guys face out of the picture, for all you photoshop detectives.

Do I know how old it is? Of course, why else would I post it? lol

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it is. I was hoping those who knew wouldn't give it away just to see the kinds of replies we'd get.

Anyway yes, the buck it 10.5 years old. The story and link...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...v7_20091123_pdf

1997 was perhaps just like any other year for white-tailed deer in Pennsylvania. Fawns were born, antlers were grown, does were bred. Deer season came along, like always. If a hunter harvested a buck that year, the buck was probably a yearling with its first set of antlers. This was the norm. Very few bucks ever saw their second birthday or their second set of antlers.
Fast forward 10 years, again fawns were born, antlers grew, and does bred. Over that 10-year period, millions of deer were harvested in Pennsylvania. Those years also saw many changes to deer management as well; most significantly a new antler point restriction. Bucks now had an opportunity to grow a second set of antlers. This changed what hunters were seeing afield and were able to harvest.
During the 2007 deer season Game Commission deer agers pulled teeth from adult bucks to obtain accurate ages. Teeth were sent to Matson’s Laboratory in Montana where they were aged. Of the more than 5,000 Pennsylvania bucks aged by the laboratory, 73 percent of the adult bucks were 2.5 years-of-age. Nineteen percent were 3.5 years-of age, and five percent were 4.5 years-of-age. Of the remaining three percent, the oldest buck was 10.5 years-of age.
That buck was born in 1997 and was still roaming Penn’s woods in 2007. He was content to live his life in the big woods of the Quehanna Wild Area in Wildlife Management Unit 2G, oblivious to any and all changes to deer management. Mr. Bill Chaney didn’t think anything was special about the 2007 deer season either. He headed toward Wykoff on the last day of the gun season to try his luck up on the Quehanna. He saw lots of deer sign but it was the big set of tracks he cut that got his attention. He decided to continue up the mountain and return to a rock bench later in the afternoon hoping to catch a glimpse of the ghost that made those tracks. At 4pm, Bill made it back to his rock bench and so did that deer. So on the last day in the last hour on the first outing in the area on public land in WMU 2G, Mr. Chaney caught up with a buck born in 1997. Mr. Chaney calls his trophy the Wykoff 10-point and has it mounted at his home. He swears he caught a glimpse of this big buck on his last outing in the area six years earlier. No one knows for sure. But he sure did outsmart the king of the mountain.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
Everyday Hunter said:
Look also at the base of the G2 on his right antler. This picture -- even if it's real -- has been tinkered with.
Nope.
I don't know how you can say "Nope," given that in the previous post you said this:
eyefromthesky said:
It's a mount and I took the guys face out of the picture, for all you photoshop detectives.
I think everyone realized you know how old it was. The post would be pointless otherwise -- you wouldn't know; we wouldn't know; and no one would have a way of knowing. And I think everyone knew this was "just for fun," mostly your fun. LOL

On to the mount -- it looks very well done, as far as an online picture can show. The nose is very realistic. The eyelids are right, the glass eyes are placed correctly and look like they have the corneal bulge, and the lacrimal gland opening is well done. But the "goiter"? Why would a taxidermist create that feature unless it was part of the deer when the hunter shot it? Any clues about that? And, how long do we wait until we learn how old he is?

Steve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts