The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not because you want a new one but how often do you guys replace your stands (climbing) due to safety concerns. I have a summit stand that is at least 13 years old and am wondering if it's time to replace it even though I see no cracks, broken welds, etc. I plan on at least replacing the cables.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I inspect my stands every year to check for any damage and actually repaint them were needed. I have replaced the cables on my summit for safety reasons. They actually sell replacement parts at cabelas.

Timber

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
I visually check my stands welds, change hardware if rusted or worn and/or tighten if loose. I have replaced older belts on handing stands with new ones. Before the season I hang them up on a tree about a foot above the ground, climb in move around and even jump up and down. Then re-inspect all parts of the stand.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think lone wolfe says every 5 years to replace the straps. If you look on them they have date codes. Also there are date codes on the hss tree harnesses, they to say to replace the harness every so many years.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Summits steel coated cables should never have to be replaced unless you severely abuse them. I am too cheap to buy new cables so I just wrap mine in camo duct tape to keep the noise down (Bushmaster). I see very little if any corrosion on the steel crimps when they are exposed. I inspect the welds every year and touch-up the paint when needed. Now, if it is a stand with rubber or steel bands coated or vulcanize with ribber, I'd inspect thoroughly and probably replace every 5 or 6 years just like you should with tires due to dry rotting from UV and ozone exposure.

Make sure to check all the misc. connection hardware too and replace with stainless w/ nylon washers if needed if the original hardware is badly corroded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts