The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how often should I apply chalk to the box call? And do I do anything for the paddle? Am I just applying chalk to the side rails where the paddle strikes?

Same question for pot calls? How often do you resurface them with the pad? Do I do anything to the striker?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I'd apply to both surfaces where the box call is concerned. With the pot, I work both the surface of the call and the the striker. Striker is normally getting a fine sandpaper and if it's slate , normally I'll use scothbrite. On an aluminum pot, I'll hit it with fine sandpaper on occasion.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I glue a piece of 150 grit sandpaper to the back of a piece of scotchbrite. makes a great conditioning piece. I very rarely use the sandpaper though...I give slate calls a quick once over with the scotchbrite (very lightly) every morning that I'm going to use them. crystal, glass, copper, alluminum all probably get it every other time I use them. I'll also give the tips of my strikers a once over with the scotchbrite too. I have specific strikers for each call and only use them on that a certain surface. If you are going to switch surfaces with the same striker, give it a once over before you do

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't have to chaulk my box call ever, I applied the chaulk board paint on the lid and never have to do it again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
captin_hook said:
If its a quality made box call, it never needs chalked.
like just about everyone else, I used to chalk my box calls.
The call was taken out of the packaging and chalked before use.
Then I got into building box calls, and as I was going through the tuning
process, I realized that you don't need chalk to get the call to play
properly. A good quality box call that is tuned properly will never need chalk.

If needed...I touch up my calls very lightly with 150 - 180 grit sand paper
before the season. But that is only If needed, which is not very often.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Rarely.

I like the sound of my box calls without any chalk. I feel they are a bit raspier which I like. I carry chalk with me though and will chalk if a need a different sound for a hung up or tough to work bird.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I chalk my box when it isn't sounding of quality. But I hardly use my box. I clean up my pot calls usually every morning when I'm sitting there set up waiting for the birds to wake up. That way they are ready to go and I know they will sound right

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Only chalk the box call until it get that deeper raspier sound.

Learned this one from an old timer--take your wooden strikers and light the end until you get a flame from it. Then blow it out and let it cool. The added effect of a charcoal end makes for great purring and sharp cutting across a slate.

Not to pirate the thread, but what do you do with the mouth calls you used this year? Soak in anything, store in refrigerator, throw away?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Though some say a good box call never needs chalked, none have mentioned the huge variable at the heart of this conversation -- and that's the kind of wood being used and the combination of woods between the lid (striker board) and the lip.

Some calls need chalked, some don't. Some woods hold chalk well, some don't. Some woods have surface properties that make chalk less necessary. There is no rule. Do what you need to do to make the turkey sounds come out of it.

Steve.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Been using the same box since 1990.

It's been what I call "run in" for years and years. I may chalk it once a year. I may not.

It is a cherry paddle and poplar boards.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i rinse my mouth calls real good after each hunt, and put something between the top reed and the second one, then store in fridge. i get 2-3 years from most calls. usually at least 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts