The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... to store your boat for the winter months? I've left my boat the last few seasons in my garage (two bays) but don't feel like leaving one of our vehicles outside this winter, too much of a pain. I found one garage/storage place for $140 for the entire winter season. I have one buddy that pays $75 a month for a storage unit for his bass boat but that seems awful steep to me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
outside storage in my area is around 20 a month. I just got my boat right now its parked on the street. if the trailer is narrow enough to fit in the garage door im going to take out my back wall and extend the lenght of my garage to store mine inside. 75 sems really expensive to me but I guess it will vary to the area you live

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Get yourself one of them outside aluminum car ports..You could put your boat on it..Maybe 900 bucks but will last for years.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
$140 for the winter does not seem bad. How is the security?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
$90/month here for the store-n-loc.

I've been trying to decide if I want to get one of the aluminum carports, or give the cheap canvas tarp carports a try.

·
Registered
893 Posts
20 a month outside.
I simply think the guy has failed to raise his rates because he is unaware of what the guys around him are charging.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yesterday I pulled my boat out and got the lift ready to come out of the water..cleaning it today.

I store mine in underground limestone mine, about 400 foot underground and about a mile into the drive in mine. It is constant 54oF so no winter/antifreeze required. they wrap in clear plastic.

Costs me $120 for the whole season. Been there 20+ years. Nice people, open on weekends during the fall and spring for put in..take out.

Note: US Bur mines requires gas tank MUST be less than 1/4 full.

http://www.bradysbend.com/

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Don't quite have the winters you have so i just cover my Lund with a high quality cover.

Years ago when i had a 21' Trophy Bayliner center console I rented a garage storage place for $150 for Oct thru march(6 mths)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I had stored my 23 footer at a marina, indoors. the flat roof filled with snow and collapsed. totalled my boat. Now i keep it in a mine.

You might want to closely reaad the contract for anywhere you store your boat. It usually has a waiver of all claims, so get insurance first.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, and many marinas have a clause in docking contracts that holds you responsible for damage done to the dock by your boat in such situations as storms and high water,

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Got you one that John, and if your boat does the damage it is your fault without the clause. But the storage contracts, usually have a waiver clause of their liability, for stuff they do to your boat. so it is either out of your pocket or your insurance...For there negligence or intentional damage.

Also in my situation I insured my boat for the $20k that I paid for it. but since the boat was then 12 years old the insurance company said they were only going to pay for the used replacement value $8k. after my XXX attorney called them they agreed to pay the full coverage amount, if I bought a boat that was at least as expensive (which I wanted to do anyway).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts