The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Traditions Hawken Woodsman 50 cal. I have found it to group good with 70 grains of ff at 60 yards. I was wondering is that enough power to actually kill a deer? I have asked a few other hunters and seems everyone has different answers. Also anyone have info on different powdres such as fff?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 38-55 was considered to be an excellent deer cartridge and it was only 38 caliber and 55 grains of BP. 70 grains should be fine with a .50. It is more important how accurate the load is than how fast.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I kill deer with some of my 45's that use 50grs.Most were at 50yds and they dropped with complete pass thru.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I shoot 90 gr. of FF in all 3 of my 50. cal.muzzleloaders. I've been doing it since the early 1970's without any problems and alot of success.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i would start at 60 grs and go up in 5grs at a time just make sure you are useing a think patch a friend has same gun and his like a .018 patch

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes it is enough powder bud. I shoot a tc renegade in .54 and use 67 gr of ff. The thing to remember is distance and ethics. Dont take a 200 yard shot with it. Keep it under 100. Good luck with her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts