The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys think the growing stops and hardening begins? I am thinking maybe August 10-15? Or earlier, like August 5th. Watching a real bruiser and wondering how much more bone he will get. I'm guessing we are in peak growing now until the end of July and then it starts slowing down.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
One of the recent hunting magazines cited a study indication that antler growth is pretty much in place by the end of July and that we should deduct about 20% of antler size after the velvet was dropped off.

·
Registered
20,151 Posts
Everyone is unique. Some are done now, others will still put some on into mid August.

Only way to tell for sure is by looking at the particular buck. Once the beams turn in, the spread is set. If the end of the points appear, bulbous, they will get longer. Any point that is not bulbous is pretty much done.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the buck in question. If he is done, he will have much shorter tines at 4.5 years old than he had last year at 3.5 yo. It looks like the point ends are a little bulbous still. I think he increased in size until the first week in August last year. Trying to dig up old cam photos for dates and comparisons to this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.