The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son harvested a nice gobbler in spring 2009, how long should i wait before going to see the guy in person?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
What time frame were you given when you dropped it off?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Just swing by to see how things are going....won't hurt. See what the progress is...it doesn't take long to actually do the mount. Full time or part time will be the biggest factor.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My taxidermist has been great on work and turn around time, but this year is not so good. Don't want to rush him, but enough is enough. One week means one week (7 days)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think you guys created your own problem.

8 months to a year? That's not a timeframe I would have agreed with. That's pretty broad. I personally don't see a 4 month disparity in 'delivery'. What is the big question mark?

There are only so many steps involved with mounting a deer/turkey/fish, etc. The one big delay is getting the hide tanned usually.

Sounds like you have a lazy, procrastinating taxidermist. I bet it didn't take him 8 to 12 months to cash your deposit check. Live and learn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont think i created a problem ,im like fly guy dont like to rush or pressure good work ,but 14 months for a turkey mount i think is excessive. guys are getting thier 09 deer mounts back

·
Registered
94 Posts
For what its worth... give him a call, and in a respectful manner, ask him for a more specific completion date, and (respectfully) remind him of the fact that you were anticipating the completed turkey a few months earlier, based upon his originally stated time frame. You never know, the man may have had certain personal issues that hindered progress on his work. Most taxidermists have little or no intention of purposefully misleading their customers.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would have stopped by at the 8 month mark
Why did you wait till now and are still wondering how much longer - If you were told 8 months to 12 months - should have started stopping once a week at the 8 month mark
at 12 months you should have started complaining.
It's not rushing when you were told a time period

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did exactly that labs @ the9 month period. we were given the couple more weeks ill call ya! like i said i didnt want to rush the guy ,but i think im gonna drop in on him and see whats doin

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rushing someone is not a good idea in any business. Patience up to the quoted timeframe is much appreciated from taxidermists. Once it is past due than I would be visiting weekly or at least calling in.

To answer your question ---you shouldn't wait any longer

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Try to get a hold of him and see if it is due to a health issue or family related problems such as a divorce or an ailing elderly relative they take care of. I was lagging for a while due to having depression. I'm back on track now after seeing my dr for a 2nd time. I still don't like being rushed though. My creative processes can be strange at times, so I work when the "juices" are flowing best. I need this the most when doing custom poses, such as where much form alteration is needed or the customer wants something really different and leaves it up to me just how to do it, trusting my creative processes.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I shot a goose in February of 2009 that was taken to a taxidermist that I have yet to see. The check was deposited a week after I took it in. The guy does not return emails or phone calls.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
stevenstiegel said:
I shot a goose in February of 2009 that was taken to a taxidermist that I have yet to see. The check was deposited a week after I took it in. The guy does not return emails or phone calls.
time for you to go have a talk with that guy.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i guess i'm a lucky one who found a taxidermist who tans his own hides, i got my buck back in 6 weeks when i was expecting 6 months or longer
....plus it is a part time for him when he doesn't paint houses......bob

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've taken 4 dux and a buck for a euro to a guy and every one exeeded the quoted completion time. The buck by 6 months and the ducks by at least a year. Next good buck I get that's getting mounted, I'll stop by to show him on the way to another taxi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts