The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hunt geese a little bit along with ducks but so far typically focus on ducks. I am considering taking the financial plunge for field stuff for geese. Realistically if I cap my decoy purchasing at 12-18 field dekes will that be enough? Is there a good number of dekes that are recommended to sway x number of birds in a flock to land? I realize location is everything but it is also easier to decoy 3 birds than it is to convince a flock of 30. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

·
Banned
851 Posts
If you are hunting a field then you either have seen geese in the field or the field is in a good location where you have seen geese flying around. The latter is typically called running a traffic field.

If you are in the field where they want to be, on the X, then sure, 12-18 could be enough. Usually you put out half as many decoys as you see in the field. More is unnecessary and less maybe not enough. So to answer your question, the answer is maybe. 12-18 decoys would mean 24-36 birds are usually in the field. Some guys wouldn't get out of bed for that many birds. Typically we have out between 2-4 dozen decoys, a mix of full body lesser, honkers, and shells. Sometimes less not usually more.

Now if you are running a traffic field, or can only get near by the X then 12-18 is not enough. Running traffic often requires large spreads. You have to make the birds come to you. You have to make them think that it is worth more coming to you than it is going with the other real geese. So really, you are competing with real birds with both decoy setup, calling and movement. Traffic hunting can be frustrating and rewarding.

When I first started hunting geese, my spread was a dozen crappy shells with stakes and 6 Big foot full bodies. I don't think we killed a bird that first year, but it wasn't because of the decoys. There is lots to learn in the art of field hunting geese and you never stop learning. I still have those shells and the bigfoots, but rarely use those particular shells anymore.

I would suggest getting shells and silhouettes and full bodies if you can. It definitely bulks up the spread with minimal less cost. I don't think brand matters much either. As long as they look decent. The Avian X's sure are nice but do you need them, probably not.

·
20,128 Posts
Get yourself 12-18 full body's and the same # of siloettes and you're in business. I can't tell you he last time I put out more than that when I hunt myself. Works just fine most of the time.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Location, location, location... Burn those 3 words into your memory!!!
Be where they want to be and you will fine with that amount of decoys.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I'm with dkj, some times more decoys can hurt you, more for something to look out of place. Location is the key. most of the time, if they are already using it, they are coming back, you just want to set enough decoys to put them where you want them, to get a good shot. If your running traffic, put out everything you have.

In a X field, it's more important to hide the hunters, not how many decoys you have, IMO. Start with what you can afford, I have pretty much run the gauntlet a time or two already. So now I just have everything, and it all pretty much kills birds, nothing is totally fool proof, but the right days, you can kill them with whatever you have. I started with silo's I made myself out of wood, worked pretty good, then got caught up in the full body game, worked as well, but then everyone else got them too. Now i'm using both, some places I just set a huge rig of old junk, tires, wood silo's, and old shells. Other places we use a bunch of full bodies, some times just a bunch of silo's if you can't get the trailers in. They all work, it's all what you can afford.

Either way, you'll be broke in a few years, that's a given....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. We actually hava flock of 30 come in to 4 goose floaters as well as some mallard and woodie dekes. We didn't call at all and they were that spooky they landed 50 yds out and swam into our spread. If we had called they would have been gone. Mixing it up definately paid off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts