The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The small game opener is upon us and I have a question that needs input but I can not find in the book (i may have overlooked it).
I have my 15 y/o daughter youth hunter going with me and my 11 daughter(who turns 12 end of this month) who wants to go(as a mentor).

Is it legal for me to supervise both? Even when the 11 y/o turns 12 in two weeks and we get her license is it legal?

I know I will not hunt much but do not want them to miss out on anything and there is only one of me to go around.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I believe that taking a youth and a mentor is not allowed. Once they both pass the test and get a license, you may take both.

But, I would call the PGC to ask, Please don't take this as the law.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Maybe a loophole....take one gun for all three of you. Mentoree hunts on mentored license and youth hunter is there in observer capacity and vice versa. I don't know for sure though if that's even possible. You might not be able to have an observer with you while being a mentor(aside from the mentored that is). Just a thought and probably not my best one.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Ther is no loophole. For a mentor hunt it has to be one on one.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
WCO said:
Ther is no loophole. For a mentor hunt it has to be one on one.
So nobody else can be present at all(no other youth, no other adult, no non hunting person....just the mentor and one weapon and one mentored youth), correct?

I'm just making sure. I don't want to give the wrong idea....I'm honestly getting clarification for my own knowledge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Archer_131 said:
Is it legal for me to supervise both? Even when the 11 y/o turns 12 in two weeks and we get her license is it legal?

Small game "squirrels and pheasants" opened last week for youths. On the 10th. If she has her license then you are allowed both them with you.So the only animal the mentor youth could hunt anyway is squirrel as for small game. I don't think you ment groundhogs or yotes. I have friends who would help out in situations like that. Give them a call.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Archer_131 said:
RWJ what about in two weeks when the youngest get a liscence. Can I take both youth?
yes once they are both licensed. one on one requirement is for mentored only

1 - 11 of 11 Posts