The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I see several of the smaller rack bucks while hunting that I have pictures from cams...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Once, since I started using cameras in 2005.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I second that is an awesome buck NG, wow, congrats!!

I have shot several deer I have had pictures of before. I have shot 3 buck that I was after specifically and I think 4 others that I had history with that I managed to drag home. That said, only one was at my camp in NY, the rest were here where I live so I am basically scouting more here and have a better handle on deer movement. I'm running 13 cameras this year and am targeting a 10 we have here, I rarely post pictures, but I will post one in this thread if I shoot him. I still don't think I can kill any particular buck I want any given year, but only 2 deer I have ever got pictures of have gone without me or my wife seeing them in a season.

I still feel I know very little of what there must be to know about patterning a specific buck, they are a lot like politicians, hard to pin down.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Never for me. I decide whether or not to shoot when he shows up. My standards change through the season. I'm typically holding out for a big 8 or better. But, last year on November 12, in the middle of a snow storm, I shot a big bodied, small racked, 7 point that I had passed on before. The end of the season and freezing my tail off made that decision easier.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I shoot my target buck every year I see a legal buck within range :) Although, I would love shooting a massive 150" buck, I follow up the old mantra of not passing up a buck on day 1 that you would shoot on day 120.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I took my first target buck in 1995 with my bow in PA and have been hooked ever since trying to target specific bucks. I don’t do it for an ego I do it bc I like the challenge of a one on one with an old buck. I was not very successful early on but I have gotten better over time. I have been blessed and very lucky to take about about 15 bucks in the last 20 years with my bow that bc of historical data and other factors I specifically targeted that season, that day, that hunt, at that stand at that time for that deer. I should note there always seems to be some luck and answered prayers involved when I’m successful and that keeps one humble and always trying to learn more. I do a ton of homework finding out everything I can about those deer and others hunting them, and I’m always trying to stay a step ahead of them. When I hunt him I expect to kill him or at least see him. This is on pressured properties not managed areas that I can control. Like most of you it is NEVER EVER EASY for me take an old buck. Hunting a target buck can be a mental challenge in trying to stay patient and positive passing good bucks (but I shoot some of them in the moment) and not letting your mind wonder if you are really ever going to see your target buck or if maybe someone else already got him, or he met his demise another way. Like anything in life you have to believe in yourself and what you are doing will work and sometimes you might just get lucky.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts