The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my deer hunting has been performed in states I did not live at the time. Therefore, I did not have knowledge of the local bucks in those areas so I did not really have a target buck. I mostly hunted based on a couple of days scouting at the beginning of my hunt.

Once at our camp in IN I spotted a nice 10 point during my first two days of scouting. It was during the rut and he was covering a lot of ground during daylight as I saw him 4 times. That night at camp I told my hunting buddy the buck appears to have a routine and he is not currently with a doe so I suggested we set up on two pinch points at the corner of a field. We were out before daylight and the buck passed 40 yards from my stand I drew back and thought about the shot; however, I let him pass as he was headed toward my buddies location and I figured based on the amount of time he is spending on his feet we had a good chance of seeing him again. My buddy got him....Love it when a plan goes together.

On occasions I have taken bucks which had larger racks than my targeted bucks. Two of them were two of the largest racks I have taken.

A 10 point I saw on a Saturday hunt was out of range....moved closer to his travel route and took him on Monday morning 25 at yards. He became my targeted buck as he was bigger than any buck I had on my T cam that year.

Also took an eleven a few years ago in PA which was my target buck, but not by patterning him or out smarting him. I passed on him one evening as I was able to grunt him to walk under my stand but not giving me a sure shot opportunity; however, he did come to within 27 yards the next morning. He was he most aggressive buck I have witnessed as he was rubbing everything, scraping and crashing through the woods. He was taken a good half mile as the crow flies, but a much longer walk from T Cam.

So I guess I am still trying to prefect a skill to take a target buck. At 75 this season I need to learn fast....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've only taken a target buck 1 time in 25 years of archery hunting, and that was last year! Most of the time, usually during the rut, a buck will appear that is as good or better than any buck I have been targeting that I have not laid eyes on before that I harvest. I have one that I am looking forward to seeing with bow in hand this year, but the reality of the situation is I know that I will end up taking another great deer before he ever gives me a chance.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I never really tried to "target" any bucks, although I came close to getting shots at real nice ones I knew were around. I've only killed two that I had seen previously.

The first was a real nice 8 that I'd drawn blood on in archery season, then killed him opening day of buck season.

The second was a buck I actually missed two years in a row and finally killed him the third year. I never saw him in archey season, only in buck season. The first year he was in heavy brush above me, all I had was a neck shot and I'm fairly certain I got a deflection. Second year I missed him running at close range, don't know how I missed, I just did. Third year, and from the same tree as the previous two years, second day of buck season, he chased a doe right past me but made the mistake of stopping in brush 40 yards from me. I had a small hole to shoot through and plugged him in the boiler room. He had a big 8 point rack, but while I think he had a better rack the year prior, he was by far the largest bodied buck I've ever killed by a long shot. I had no way to weigh him, but his mount dwarfs every other mount I have, including a legitimate 200 lb live weight buck that was weighed on a scale.

·
Registered
17,857 Posts
about 98% of the time since i was 20. thats when i got my first buck. but my "target" bucks happen to be the 1st legal one that walks into view.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Two. The first one was a small 7 point when I was 14. I watched him behind the horse pasture most of the summer and killed him on the first evening of archery season. The second one was a big 8 point that I saw twice in bear season. Killed him the second morning of buck season. I generally don’t have any specific target bucks going into the season anymore.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
One for sure, and if you count last year when I had two on camera that were "no doubt" to shoot at, two.

The first, I have about 120 pics of him. He's a little basket 8, first showed up on pics the night before the season opened, right at the tree I was hunting. Saw him a week later out of range with his 6pt buddy.

It was a slow year, and I told a guy I was making some mock scrapes the Sunday before the last week, and if my 8pt buddy showed up, wham. Got him 8am on the next day. I saw him stop 35 yards after the hit and topple.

I knew him so well I counted his points as he came down the trail.

Last year was a dandy 9. Had just a few pics of him, but he was one of two that you'd see coming and say "yep". It was the OMG moment, and it happened so fast. I also saw him stop and fall over not 35 yards away.

Only two I ever saw fall. Heard the crashes, but not like these two, when you see it. It really touches the soul when you see that happen and you know the buck that just became yours.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I don’t use trail cams and don’t have fields to glass . Every buck I have killed over the years was the first time I ever laid eyes on it for the exception of two. Ironically they are my two biggest bucks. One was on private that I kept tabs on all summer and the other was on public that I had an encounter with in September when I was out scouting.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Iv'e shot quite a few that I knew lived where I was hunting, not really "target" bucks but I knew they were around. I'm not inclined to learn about specific bucks, then hunt them, I hunt the area and whoever shows up. Much of my hunting has been on property's iv'e never hunted before, with none or limited scouting, but in areas I know hold good bucks. Sometimes iv'e seen bucks over the summer then got permission to hunt that area, but specifically targeting certain bucks or having a hit list is not something iv'e ever done much of.

Several years ago we had a whopper in my area, really big 10 with some junk. I saw him a couple times while hunting, never close, got tons of trail camera pictures of him. That buck was killed a mile from my place and I didn't hear about it for 2 weeks. If I'd have been holding out for him there's a pretty good chance he was nowhere near the property I was hunting, and/or i'd have wasted a couple weeks hunting a dead buck. That's why I don't get too hung up on hunting specific deer.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Only "target" buck I ever had was a big wide 4 point in my youth.... instead I stuck a nice 6 pt. Hadn't see the 4 pt for a couple of weeks so when the 6 walked by at 10 paces.... Twang. Funny thing(?) as I'm tracking the 6 across the hill I walk up behind the 4 never gave any clue he knew I was there for the 50-60yrds I followed ... and I wasn't that far back LOL.

Archery season I have always held out for a deer I would put on my wall. Countless spikes, fork horns(back in the old days), basket racks regardless of points all got passes.... there were dry spells .... but I was much less picky in rifle season.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Zero! I almost shot my targeted buck last year, but I was really cold one November morning and nodded off when I heard what sounded like a a grown man running at my tree from directly behind me. I spun around so quick in a panic and there he was, a tall tine 10pt that I had on cam once and saw on foot twice in the last two years. He stopped dead, ran down the hill and blew at me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I never really have a "target" buck. I seem to get 1 or 2 REALLY nice bucks right before season on my cameras and would love to harvest one of those, but I usually never see or get anymore pictures of them. Between my dad and I we hunt 2 strictly 2 farms and I've been running 3-4 cameras from Aug/Sept til Jan the last 5 hunting seasons. We hunt Maryland so your allowed more than 1 buck a season. Of the bucks we harvested only about 10% of them I have any pictures of. But I have pictures of atleast 15-20 bucks a year. They really move thru the area.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Probably about 70% of the time but I rarely specifically target one deer. Hit list is usually comprised of 3 - 5 or more. I'd much rather take a big buck during the rut that ventured in from afar.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Twice so far. Last year 138" 8 point and 4 years before that I shot a 129" 8 point. Both buck I specifically chose those stand locations that given day for those exact bucks.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I've killed two bucks that I had trail cam pictures of, I can't say I was targeting those bucks just that they had the misfortune of walking to close to my tree. There was two bucks that I guess you could say I was targeting and that was before I used trail camera's. Both ended up scoring over 160 and I saw the one in early season and killed him the third week of October during the lull and the other was making giant rubs and knew it had to be special and finally after hunting that area all early season I grunted him in first week of November.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Can't say it's happened many times for me, but this was my target this year in Kentucky. Killed him this past Saturday, the first day I hunted him.

My kids have killed bucks that were on our target list a number of times, but they weren't hunting specifically that buck at the time.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I run no less then 10 cameras year round. Never once and I mean ever have I even seen a buck on the hoof that I have had on camera. I killed my fair share of bucks but never one I had on camera. 2012 I shot a buck that was 10 yards from a camera though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts