The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Many times with a bow when I was younger. I was never good at judging distances. A couple times with the flintlock and a few times with a rifle. I always get too excited and rush things. But I have gotten much better at that. My problem now is finding deer to shoot at.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Once with a bow (couple years back, held for 30, deer was less than 25 away), and once with a Smokepole (MANY years back, honestly can say i dont remember truely "aiming" as more of pointing and pulling the trigger, found a bullet hole/dirt skid trail about 5 feet infront of where the deer was standing. LOL). So twice...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I remember my first deer ever when I was 12 it was the 5th shot that dropped a deer. I proceeded to walk up and shoot two more times at it because the slug had struck his spine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
talk about racking memories im trying to count as i type right now.
some i missed and then second shot got? does that count? i guess so..
7 with a bow, one i got one a second shot
7 with a gun, and one i got on the follow up shot, and one im pretty sure i got but ran down to another guy and he shot 5 times and tagged it before i got there.
muzzloader...well...hahahahah this year alone i shot 6 times....and 3 more i can think of? so 9?..

oh crap shotgun in ohio!...i missed 2 bucks..add that up too..

so 25 total deer have slipped away... mostly does before i was really "smart"
missed 7 bucks out of the 25. but one got a second arrow. so 6 got away...
20 total ran free...out of the 25 i followed up on 3 in 14 years....that seems horrible...haha im new to muzzleloading...but MOST of those misses were early before i was 20 even. Recently..not to many. MINUS muzzleloading of course

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I don't think I can possibly recall every deer that I've missed. Probably at least 10 with the bow, at least that many with the rifle and dozens with the flinter. The doe I got on the first Saturday of gun season this year I messed on the first shot and then redeemed myself on the second. Been hunting for about 32 years now.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
firecat1 said:
Many times with a bow when I was younger. I was never good at judging distances. A couple times with the flintlock and a few times with a rifle. I always get too excited and rush things. But I have gotten much better at that. My problem now is finding deer to shoot at.
Exactly this for me.

·
Registered
18,716 Posts
2 with rifle, 6 with bow and around 10 with flintlock.

·
Registered
763 Posts
First off I'm am not a slob hunter. But In my young years i'm talking 13-14 here( first year bow hunting). I missed 5 in one day with a bow.11 total during bow season.Did not bow hunt for the next 5 years. By than I was ready with a bow but never took a shot till this year when I took a shot with the crossbow and missed.Missed a few with the 30-30.The gun is a little small for me. The girlfriend(wife) at the time got me a 30-06 10 for 10 one shot one kill.

side story thats even how I got my screen name After the first deer my grandfather walk up and said that 30-06 kills it dead= 30-06kid

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Don't bow hunt. NEVER missed with a rifle, and have many, many, many harvests. A few that went unrecovered though. Rifle shots are all under 100 yards.

Now.... I'm a big muzzy hunter. Been muzzy hunting for a few decades. I'm probably getting along to be able to fill a small bucket with all the roundballs of the Deer I've missed.
Have gotten better as I age though.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
A lot!

It happens. I've missed deer with every single weapon I've hunted them with....bow, inline, flintlock, rifle. I don't know what happened at every single miss, but some I know I hit a branch(bow) or just blew the shot(rushed it). I've been hunting for 20 years and probably killed around 50 deer over that span. Went years without a single miss with any weapon and then had runs where I seemingly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Ive missed more than a few times, but have also taken probably close to 175 shots. Only one with a rifle when I was younger. I missed quite a few times with a bow when I first started out at age 13. I've also missed 4 or 5 with a smokepole, but thats a whole different ballgame for me. I haven't missed one with a bow in quite awhile, but when you've killed as many as I have, you're bound to miss sometime. It happens to the best of us, over and over again. Anyone who can say they've truly never missed, hasn't taken very many shots.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts