The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
27,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California Woman Gored Multiple Times by Yellowstone Bison
Run-ins between visitors and bison, also known as buffalo, occur periodically at Yellowstone
Published June 29, 2020 • Updated on June 29, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Welcome sign by West Yellowstone, USA to Yellowstone National Park north Entrance
Getty Images
File photo
A 72-year-old California woman was gored and injured multiple times by a wild bison at Yellowstone National Park after repeatedly approaching the animal to take its photograph, park administrators said Monday.
The woman was flown to an Idaho hospital for treatment of her injuries following the June 25 incident. She was not identified and her current condition is unknown.
The woman was at her campsite at the park's Bridge Bay Campground when she approached within 10 feet (3 meters) of the animal multiple times prior to being gored, park officials said.

Run-ins between visitors and bison, also known as buffalo, occur periodically at Yellowstone. The animals are normally placid but can respond aggressively and charge when approached.
Park biologist Chris Geremia said that's what appeared to happen in the latest instance, with the bison responding to what it perceived as a threat when the woman got too close.
Visitors are required to stay at least 25 yards (23 meters) away from large animals, including bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose and coyotes, and at least 100 yards (91 meters) away from bears and wolves.
In May, a woman was knocked to the ground when she got too close to a bison near the popular Old Faithful geyser.
Earlier this month a Missouri woman suffered minor injuries after being knocked to the ground by a grizzly bear in a surprise encounter.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If you guys think that's scary, try being in California's 12th Congressional District and running into Pelosi. No gun or spray gonna save you from that beast in her natural habitat!!! 😧

🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
We were out there last September and we were watching a big bull with 6 cows off to our right. We took some pictures, got back in the Jeep and saw another big bull approaching the bull with the cows...our Jeep was directly between them. They each let out a bellow....I am watching the bull on the left now about 15' from our vehicle. Then I heard another bellow behind the car and I looked in the rear view mirror and all I could see was BROWN. Whereas, the bull on the right put on his charge running around the back of us to get to the bull on the left. He stopped and stood about 5' from my window to get in a stare down with the other bull......I snapped a quick picture and we quickly decided it was time to move on the catch a view of old faithful.......difficult to get good picture of a 900 Lb. Bison when they are that close....

·
Super Moderator
26,446 Posts
First time I was in Yellowstone I had a Mazda p'up. We were in a standstill of cars because of many bison walking down the roadside. As one bull passed by us he was sweeping his head from side to side devouring grass right off of the shoulder. I swear his head was as big as the front of the truck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We try to go to Yellowstone at least every other year, this was supposed to be the year but was cancelled due to this [email protected]#$ virus. We now are booked for May of 2021.

·
Registered
20,975 Posts
California Woman Gored Multiple Times by Yellowstone Bison
Run-ins between visitors and bison, also known as buffalo, occur periodically at Yellowstone
Published June 29, 2020 • Updated on June 29, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Welcome sign by West Yellowstone, USA to Yellowstone National Park north Entrance
Getty Images
File photo
A 72-year-old California woman was gored and injured multiple times by a wild bison at Yellowstone National Park after repeatedly approaching the animal to take its photograph, park administrators said Monday.
The woman was flown to an Idaho hospital for treatment of her injuries following the June 25 incident. She was not identified and her current condition is unknown.
The woman was at her campsite at the park's Bridge Bay Campground when she approached within 10 feet (3 meters) of the animal multiple times prior to being gored, park officials said.

Run-ins between visitors and bison, also known as buffalo, occur periodically at Yellowstone. The animals are normally placid but can respond aggressively and charge when approached.
Park biologist Chris Geremia said that's what appeared to happen in the latest instance, with the bison responding to what it perceived as a threat when the woman got too close.
Visitors are required to stay at least 25 yards (23 meters) away from large animals, including bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose and coyotes, and at least 100 yards (91 meters) away from bears and wolves.
In May, a woman was knocked to the ground when she got too close to a bison near the popular Old Faithful geyser.
Earlier this month a Missouri woman suffered minor injuries after being knocked to the ground by a grizzly bear in a surprise encounter.
Unbelievable... they never learn!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts