The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many shots do you guys have through your flinters? Anybody ever replace any barrels from shooting one out?

I have 73 shots through my Deerstalker and over 200 in the Renegade.

Was wondering what you serious flinters got out of your frizzens and barrels.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
28,878 out of my T/C PA Hunter.
Seriously about 200

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My Son shoots a custom Flinter that was made back in the seventies. Original Frizzen and still shoots excellent. Have no idea how many rounds have been sent down range....

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have no idea how may rounds I have shot out of my flinters, 1 from the middle 70's another was built in 1980 both have original barrels and frizzens.

I have a T/C hawken percussion (early 70's)that has 8,000 to 10,000 rounds through it, all patched round balls, always used a "sleeve" on my rods, still the original barrel. My percussion long rifle have about 5,000 round through it, original barrel, again all patched round balls.

With a lot of TLC they will last a lifetime.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
In my opinion, shooting out a barrel is a bunch of crapolla. If you properly take care of your muzzleloader it should last the average shooter a lifetime. I have one of my guns with easily 10,000 rounds through it. I was my primary competition gun. It shoots just as well as the day Dad and I put it together 30 years ago.

The key to a great shooting muzzleloader is three things:

1. A good quality gun. Don't buy junk.

2. Proper cleaning and maintenance.

3. Practice, practice, practice.

GBJ

·
Super Moderator
12,817 Posts
couldnt tell ya...i was shooting 1-2lbs of powder a year pretty easy when i was in highschool and had the time to shoot...

this is the 7th season with it...sadly ive been on the same pound of powder for a good 3 seasons now...i got enough left to get me through this season....

i used to goto the range and make some serious smoke...love shootin it...just havent had time the past few seasons...

just off the top of my head id say im around the 500rd mark pretty easily in the short time ive been makin smoke..i could probably do the math and count up the empty powder cans..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hard to say ? try to shoot 3nights a week inthe summer shootin 3-5 nightsin the fall and winter since work is slow so its hard to say 300 rounds a month

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
You can't really shoot them out BUT you can ruin them in various ways.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Got hundreds through the Lyman and maybe 100 through Elisabeth---Not worried about my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Used to shoot competively through the 70's and 80's. Thousands of rounds through a couple of barrels 25 to 35 years old. If you take care of your gun after using it, it will take care of you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I burn through about 10 to 12 Lbs of powder a year. My .50 is the rifle I have the longest, about 15 years it has fired thousands of shots and still shoots clover leaf groups at 50yds.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
I also think that if you only shoot a patched round ball the guns whole life, the rifling should last really long as I would think a patch is the least hard on rifling compared to other projectiles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts