The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few threads got me thinking...how many of you guys have already or are planning on securing permission to fish the opener on private, non posted, non navigable waterway property? I am convinced more than 75 percent of guys fishing trout this year technically will be trespassing at some point with no care in the world on non posted property.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Not to sound disrespectful or rude because I am not but if it is stocked by state it doesn't really matter whether it is privately owned or not.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ratherbhuntin said:
Not to sound disrespectful or rude because I am not but if it is stocked by state it doesn't really matter whether it is privately owned or not.
There are some spots where I know the land owner agrees to allow fishermen access a stream through their property, but that is definitely not the entire length of an approved trout stream.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
ratherbhuntin said:
What? There are plenty of private sections on stocked streams. Are you saying that if a stream is stocked by the state, everywhere is fair game. Maybe I need to read up on the regs but I don't think this is the case.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
No rod and gun club yahoo is going to decide to dump fish in a stream a half mile away and claim my property is open to trampling and climbing fences. If an idiot wants to climb over my fence into the pasture, he won't have to worry about me or the law. Norman will stomp him him into the ground.

That law may just violate the taking provisions of the state constitution and therefore be invalid.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Won't be me, all the streams I fish are in state forests!

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
ratherbhuntin said:
The creek behind my home is stocked 500 yards up stream and 500 yards down stream, as of this January, my land is now posted. Just because a stream is stocked, does not give anyone permission to trespass.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Sorry for the confusion should have worded better. Streams are open where the state stocks them and only in those stretches. And the state is not allowed to stock within a certain distance of posted property. I believe it is 150 feet but don't quote me on that number. As far as rod and gun clubs they are not supposed to stock posted property unless open to public fishing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
The creek behind my home is stocked 500 yards up stream and 500 yards down stream, as of this January, my land is now posted. Just because a stream is stocked, does not give anyone permission to trespass.
That is your right to do so, but if enough land owners decide to post their land on an ATW, the PFBC will discontinue stocking, which is a good thing. Case in point is a section of the Tulpehocken in Berks Co that was posted up in the Fall of 2011. The PFBC stopped stocking that section.

·
20,167 Posts
Very very rarely do I ever ask permission to fish. If the property has posted signs I will usually ask if I desire to fish there or just skip around the property depending on the nature of the posting (rope over stream when you KNOW you're not ok) but in general I just take my chances and almost never have issues. I've been tossed a few times over the past few decades but am always polite and apologetic but it is so so so rare. Fishing, luckily, is still not like hunting yet. It's really rare still that landowers around me care about someone fishing and 90% of the streams I fish are on provate land. If it's doesn't have posted signs along it it's fair game. When I do run into landowners I make it a point to thank them graciously for allowing fishing on their property. I definitely appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts