The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, if you want to move this feel free...i know this is the general hunting forum but looking for traffic...

Guys, please be 100000% honest when answering...its just a question...i would love to get a ton of feedback on this as i am truly curious....

How many of you truly care about gun rights? If "assualt weapons" high capacity mags etc etc get banned, do you actually care??

Do you own such guns that are under threat?? Or just hunting guns??

The reason i ask is because this evening i was at my buddies and someone mentioned guns and someone said something about possible bans etc...

They are all hunters and gun owners....but they all agreed that they could absolutely care less as long as they could keep their hunting guns and could still hunt...

I really had to bite my tongue because i am a very active target shooter, gun.enthusiast, gun owner etc and got so fired up by their comments i couldnt say.anything that would been appropriate..especially with wives and kids present...

It got me thinking and curious.....and i would love to see honest answers from you guys on the subject....

No right or wrong answers and you wont be flamed as HPA wont stand for it and most of us aren't like that...

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
I do care about gun owners rights. I think we all take a bad rap every time some idiot goes on a shooting rampage. With the ESOS thing going on, I emailed a number of people to withdraw from that show and followed it all pretty closely. Any gun control legislation will be the tip of the iceberg for things to follow. We've seen the results of that in other countries.
That being said, I do not own an "assault" rifle or "modern" sporting arm. In fact the only semiauto that I own is my 11-87 Supermag turkey gun. I have never had an interest in them. Even my handguns are revolvers. I guess I'm just a throwback on that. But I totally respect others' right to own them if they choose.
If those guys you were with were that apathetic, they may just as well be against us.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx kudu, and you are a great example of someone i wanted to hear from....obviously those of us that do own such guns will want to keep them and buy more etc...

Guys that do not own them but own hunting guns and such could be more prone to not care...and I agree...if people simply dont care it surely doesnt help...

Maybe through this, we can maybe educate and strengthen our side...we really do need to stick together....

Ive seen a few guys on a trapping forum admit they could care less and they feel it wouldnt affect them or bother them at all...some going as far to say as "who needs such guns?!"

Mods, i just seen the new forum...my apologies...i realize this should likely go there...though results would be skewed there...wont hurt my feelings if it gets moved or axed...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Here's how I feel about it. I don't own any ARs, I've never shot one, can't really afford one, and really have no desire to. I am one of those who hope they don't become legal to hunt with in PA.

With all that said; I still believe that regular folks should be allowed to own one if they want. As I unsterstand our Constitution, we have the right to, and that shouldn't be taken away. Anybody should be able to understand that the gun control freaks are NOT gonna stop at ARs. They want them ALL gone, even Paps ol single shot .22, aren't ever going to stop, especially if they gain some ground.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I don't own one. But if you give an inch to the anti gun owners that will be all they need. Then they will be after all guns.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't own one but those that do are protected by the Second Amendment. We should not let the gun haters chip away at the Constitution!!
Smage

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am so tired of hearing the comments like "who cares if they ban assault rifles as long as they don't take my hunting guns" from gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters. I, like the OP, have had to bite my toungue several times after listening to these ignorant, poorly educated fools speak. If you support the 2nd amendment in any way, shape, or form, you'd be 110% totally against giving anyone or any organization the power to take away ANY of our firearms.

I personally do not own any assault rifles and I am smart enough to know, that if I give into the thought "ok, I guess it doesn't really effect me if they ban AR's" way of thinking, it won't be long until my hunting rifles are outlawed too.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
As a former owner of an "assault rifle" I can testify to the fun of having one. While I am not in favor of semi's for deer hunting here I understand the desire of others. If we let one thing go we will have the domino effect which is a principle well known. If we do not try and stop those in authority now in Washington we will see all rights curtailed.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Here's how I feel about it. I don't own any ARs, I've never shot one, can't really afford one, and really have no desire to. I am one of those who hope they don't become legal to hunt with in PA.
That statement is indicative of the divide and selfishness in hunting.

Well then if we all get a vote of what WE want as an individual, I vote we get rid of semi-automatic shotguns for waterfowlers, crossbows for everyone, in-line muzzleloaders and the early season, and more than one deer per hunter per year.

The Remington R25 AR10 platform is an excellent platform for deer hunting. You can get larger calibers than the basic AR platform, and they look cool.

You could get larger clips for a Remington 760 pump. You could get smaller magazines for an R-10. When limited to five shots, there is no difference between these weapons other than a human hand moves the slide on a pump while the gas of recoil moves the slide on an R-10.

So yeah, it bugs me when people put their own personal bias ahead of the 2nd Amendment. If you personally do not want an AR, or a semi-auto pistol, don't buy one.

But then don't complain when those of us that do vote to eliminate the weapon you prefer.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Thanks for the thread mauser.
Apathy will take our guns, not the antis. I don't or have never owned any of the tactical scarey looking guns, but I own several hunting guns that fire EXACTLY the same.

In my mind, apathy is not an option this time.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I do not own any of this type of firearm,but know plenty of people that do. The thing is they are all hunters . I have shot some of these guns & must say the y are fun to shoot. To allow any to infringe on our rights on certain firearms, is to tell them that we are divided & invite them to go further the next time till they erode our right.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
TheReezen said:
I personally do not own any assault rifles and I am smart enough to know, that if I give into the thought "ok, I guess it doesn't really effect me if they ban AR's" way of thinking, it won't be long until my hunting rifles are outlawed too.
Very few people in PA own "assault rifles".

This just shows how effective the anti-gun propaganda is in confusing the issue.

An "assault rifle" is a military weapon who's key characteristic is the ability to select either full-automatic or semi-automatic operation. You need special permitting to own one, not sure if you can even get those permits any more.

M-16's and AK-47's are "assault rifles". An "assault weapon" is a made-up political term to classify certain types of guns and make them sound scary so they can be banned. There is a list of several generic characteristics, and if a gun as only two or three out of the list, it is classified as an "assault weapon".

If you have a semi-automatic shotgun with a thumbhole stock and a threaded barrel (i.e. exchangeable choke tube) that could accept a suppressor, you have what could be construed an "assault weapon".

You hold up an AR to someone who does not know the difference in the definitions and they would say it is an "assault rifle". You hold up a semi-auto deer rifle to that same person and they would say it is a "hunting weapon". Both meet the definition of what they say an "assault weapon" is.

Whey they put Biden on TV, the wall behind him is covered in AR's, AK-47's, H&K's, weapons that the uninformed civilian would imagine in the hands of the Taliban.

But the REAL goal is to start to get ALL of the guns that meet the definition out of our hands, and those far outnumber those "Scary Guns" they roll out for the dog and pony show.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
TheReezen said:
I am so tired of hearing the comments like "who cares if they ban assault rifles as long as they don't take my hunting guns" from gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters. I, like the OP, have had to bite my toungue several times after listening to these ignorant, poorly educated fools speak. If you support the 2nd amendment in any way, shape, or form, you'd be 110% totally against giving anyone or any organization the power to take away ANY of our firearms.

Exactly !

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
YES! I care about gun rights. I have a sks, and my son has a AR. In many states these are "hunting guns," I don't see the difference, and neither should anyone else who cares about our gun rights.

By your friends logic...We shouldn't care until they try to ban thr guns "we" care about.

Those of us who don't hunt with semi-autos shouldn't care if they get band.

Those of us who hunt with single shot's shouldn't care if clip guns get baned.

Those of us who hunt with ML's shouldn't care if cartridge guns get baned.

When the ban YOUR guns Who Will be left to CARE>

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
All points above agreed plus my input. A 1000 mile journey begins with a single step. If we give the slightest bit on gun control, we have set the wheels in motion for the future repeal of the 2nd amendment. These people are not dumb, they are some great political minds. They know they are not going for the whole ball of wax at once. They are assuming that we ( gunowners ) are DUMB ENOUGH to give a little, thats all they need. They can put Biden on TV every night, they can spread all the rhetoric they want, but the simple fact is if any bill does not pass two houses of congress, its not going to change gun ownership. I have owned, handled, and sold/traded thousands of guns of any type you can imagine. I have met every type of gunowner there is. The second amendment protects ALL of them, persons(gunowners) and objects( guns). It is not your governments place to judge you or any legal firearm you own, but this administration has gotten away with a few "dandies", and they are bold as a new bull. Its our job as law abiding Americans to peacefully stop their attack, using politics and our contitution, thats what it was made for.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Most people are too wrapped up in their own lives and stuff to care until it gets to the point it affects them. If they don't care about an AR ban, they won't care until they come after their semi rabbit gun. There rest of us know it's too late bu then. And we all know it won't stop at ARs or hangun mag capacity. The government NEVER has enough control over us, can never tax us enough, never regulate us enough. Both sides are to blame but the left thrives on it. Do not give up any freedoms, in fact we should be pushing back to gain more personally, economically, and in every aspect where they've taken them away from us "for our (their) own good". This issue is only a symptom of everything that's bad about Washington, and not the tip of the iceberg...... it's the tip of the artic circle!!!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts