The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Congress at least taking care of the Gulf War veterans.. Said to get cancer because of burn piles. I often wonder how many of us now suffer from the toxic things in the subject above from living in barracks and on our ships. A Coast Gurd veteran I lived in a brand new barracks at Barbers Point Hawaii. Woo air condition, our own room, modern inside. However was not long that the CG destroyed it. See it had Asbestos, Radon, and Black Mold so bad in the duct work and walls. Yes many of the Coasties are sick but no way will the VA say ok. You to can put in for it since you served during the Vietnam era and you do have things like Asthma, constant Bronchitis, every lung porlbem possible., and sadly the big one cancer. CG Commandant issued guidance oh about 10 years ago to X Coasties that any cutter built from 1965 back is filled with lead paint and asbestos. That was it. Just a letter telling us to watch our health. Problem with the VA evaluators it's always rejected with these words: "You Never Went to sick call with symptoms!" or down right they say No Proof that the barracks having asbestos, black mold or radon caused you to have asthma for 49 years. However Cg did knock down the building. I have yet to put in a claim for my asthma. kind of playing it by ear now and collecting all kinds of data to send forward someday. Any of you vets have any problems from being in a bad barracks or a ship filled with black mold or radon?
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Building
Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle Sky Plant

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congress at least taking care of the Gulf War veterans.. Said to get cancer because of burn piles. I often wonder how many of us now suffer from the toxic things in the subject above from living in barracks and on our ships. A Coast Gurd veteran I lived in a brand new barracks at Barbers Point Hawaii. Woo air condition, our own room, modern inside. However was not long that the CG destroyed it. See it had Asbestos, Radon, and Black Mold so bad in the duct work and walls. Yes many of the Coasties are sick but no way will the VA say ok. You to can put in for it since you served during the Vietnam era and you do have things like Asthma, constant Bronchitis, ammonia, and sadly the big one cancer. CG Commandant issued guidance oh about 10 years ago to X Coasties that any cutter built from 1965 back is filled with lead paint and asbestos. That was it. Just a letter telling us to watch our health. Problem with the VA evaluators it's always rejected with these words: "You Never Went to sick call with symptoms!" or down right they say No Proof that the barracks having asbestos, black mold or radon caused you to have asthma for 49 years. However Cg did knock down the building. I have yet to put in a claim for my asthma. kind of playing it by ear now and collecting all kinds of data to send forward someday. Any of you vets have any problems from being in a bad barracks or a ship filled with black mold or radon? View attachment 192742 View attachment 192743
Cloud Sky Rectangle Land lot Wood

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Notice the beauty of this barracks that was filled with Asbestos, Radon, and Black Mold. Hawaii was not paradise.. Actually I think the gates of **** started just beyond that barracks. "If You Have What It Takes Take The Coast Guard!" No regrets of being a Coastie. plenty of Pro and Con. Semper Paratus.. Hope you veterans start to think of some of the barracks you stayed in or the ships or cutters you served on. all the old navy and CG ships are filled with asbestos and lead paint. Radon and Black Mold too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts