The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't but up to 3 years ago my Pap(in his 80's) did, his eyesights gotten to the point where he can't but from the time we bought him a TC hawken in the early eightys (he only used it or longbow) during that time he took 4 bucks with it 2 were before antler regs., one in the late season that was real special(tough hunt conditions) and one that I was right there with him on opening day we walked in him carrying the smokepole and me a walking stick (tagged out in bow) anyhow we were slipping along a gasline right before light and met up with another hunter would had a synthetic stocked stainless bolt with the biggest scope I'd ever seen he came off a little smug by asking what we thought we were going to do with our setup, well we eased down the ridge to a saddle and sat on a log 10 minutes after shooting light here comes a nice six sshboom and there he lay Dad filled out his tag I field dressed it and Pap suggested the drag to the truck would be easier if we headed straight down to truck I said no I'll drag it out the ridge to the gasline stating that there'd be less obstacles the real reason was wanting to see that guy which we did he looked at us sheepishly and said guess you guys know what you're doing, was priceless the look on his face.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Not for the opener, but if I get a buck, I will use it to fill my doe tag. I'll also use it exclusively for the late season in 2B.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I usually don't hunt the opener, but this year I've been invited to hunt from the Pike County camp of a good friend for the first three days. My .54 cal. flintlock will be my gun of choice - rain, snow, or shine.

I sewed up a buckskin calf's knee yesterday and gave it a good coating of mink oil. It is all about keeping the powder dry.

Good luck to everyone heading out, and be safe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
For years, I did not own any type of centerfire rifle. All my deer were got with either a bow or the flintlock. I always took the flintlock on the opener as it was all I had. Now I have a .308, but many of the bucks I have taken with it were easily close enough to have shot with the flintlock.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hunted deer with nothing but a flintlock from `91-`06 (in MI, MO & PA). After taking the last few deer at under 15 yds with the flint, I decided to carry a revolver the last couple years. For the last few years though I never know until the night before whether I'll take the .54 flintler or .41 mag revolver. It'll be the same this year. Though heavily leaning towards the flint again.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I know that I will be getting a lot of lip from some of the people that I hunt with, but I am might carry my flinter out for the first day this year. I want more of a chalenge, and we normally don't do any driving on the first day anyway

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fowler for birds, .32, .36 rifle for small game, .40 rifle for varmints and .58 - .66 rifle for when I really mean it. Primarily flinters but occasionally an underhammer. I used to get a lot of flak but the jabber jawing stopped right quick when the thunder & smoke erupted. Was hunting pheasants with some friends, first one of the day got up and two of them emptied their gas auto's, the old .62 fowler barked and down he came. No more lip from any of them the rest of the day. LOL

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I figure I dont have to shhot a deer to feed my family so that said---I hunt only with my bow and if I take a gun out it is only the flintlock....That said---I will hunt this week with my flintlock and possibly my old bow since the new bow has yet to arrive in the mail----

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Hey Berksy add a little Bees wax to that knee after soak her good with mink oil!! If you need some I think I have 2 pounds left...just PM me.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
That is a good idea, Bunky!
I have plenty of bee's wax and will take the time to add some to the new cover. Thanks for the offer.

I hope some hungry bear doesn't get a whiff of the honey smell left over in the wax, and stop by to dine.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
That is a good idea, Bunky!
I have plenty of bee's wax and will take the time to add some to the new cover. Thanks for the offer.

I hope some hungry bear doesn't get a whiff of the honey smell left over in the wax, and stop by to dine.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Hunted bear in Maine for 5 days with it and the first of the 3 day bear season here before the rain moved in. Got lazy and took th inline. Same thing today. Just lazy and disgusted with the weather. Gonna take her out the rest of the season though!!

Last year carried it about 90% of the rifle season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts