The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles did you travel ON FOOT this hunting season?
According to Garmin, I've walked 468 miles, exclusively rabbit hunting.

I was trying to find out how far the dogs have gone total, but it seems I reset the dogs info every time I start a new hunt, darn it.
If you have the #'s for your dog post them up too.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
We hunted the hounds 34 days in 4 states this year.
27 days for cottontails and 7 for hare. Down a half dozen or so from normal because of all the crap weather in Feb.
I would say the dogs have about a 10 - 15 mile average per hunt at 10 second update on my Garmin collars.
So you walked a bunch there Brine.

John L

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure you should be walking that much with dogs Haha. If you leave your Garmin on in the truck it registers your driving miles as well.

I don't keep track on a weekends around home but I didnt get out anywhere near what John did only getting Saturdays and losing the last month basically to weather. I do know that week in Maine our dogs did approximately 125 to 130 miles in 5 days. My dogs did about 72 miles on hare in PA in 4 days. So in those 9 days my hounds combined for about 200 miles. That's all I got.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I make sure to stop tracking the collars, and turn off handheld before I get in the car to leave the hunting area.

That being said, LOL
Ya that is a lot of walking, that's why I was curious what my dog miles would be, but I can't locate it.

I was going out 6 days a week most of the time, even in this last deep freeze we had. During the week in the evening for a few hours a day, and on Saturdays I would stay out as long as I could.

Highest # I recall seeing was 17-18 in one day on one of the dogs.

The handheld will display the tracks of everywhere we have run,they are archived. But on basecamp I can't find them. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can dig them up somehow.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sorry cell phone pic of the handheld.
I went to track manager, dog tracks, picked a dog, then viewed map.
The miles are the same for both dogs so I'm assuming this is combined miles for both dogs? It doesn't specify dates, so must be total since I started using (since it obviously isn't the pictured track)?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It shouldn't be combined. I'm not sure how that would happen, that would be truly amazing, lol. You should have dates associated with all of your tracks in basecamp for sure. You can literally look at every 5 second interval of the tracks (or ten or whatever).

On a full day cottontail hunt, I can see 17 or 18 miles. That's with good running. I'll admit I don't hunt til dark either, after 7 hours or so we all get wore out. I'll be willing to bet I walk maybe 4 or 5 miles on those days. If the running is good, there isn't much walking. It's the bad days that us humans accumulate the miles.

I'm not saying your numbers are off, it's crazy to think you walked that far though. My best suggestion is to keep a journal every single day of each dog, handheld, etc. Add'em up at the end. That's what I did in Maine and PA Hare, reset everything at the beginning every time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 468# I posted is my tracks from basecamp, the only tracks I can seem to locate at the moment.
What I can't seem to pull up are the dogs individual archived tracks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do you "start new hunt" every time you go out? If you do, there are no archived dog tracks I don't think because that's what I do, and the only thing that gets archived are my tracks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smoke'n Mack said:
Do you "start new hunt" every time you go out? If you do, there are no archived dog tracks I don't think because that's what I do, and the only thing that gets archived are my tracks.
Yes, I "start a new hunt" everytime.
Thanks for the help, and patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts