The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Diesel or gas? I use amsoil and their aeo filter, 25k on oil, filter change and the difference at 12.5k.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It all depends on usage, factory reccomendations etc... In my daily driver I use a blended amsoil, 150k miles, I go 7500 and change both in a Subaru forester.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
For personal vehicles I use 5w20 synthetic blend and feel guilty if I get near 4000 miles between oil and filter changes and tires rotated. Work truck gets the oil changed every 3000 miles and they give me a new vehicle every 50K, some years I get new truck every year due to mileage.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
dce said:
I just add as needed.
That's probably fine as long as you change the filter every so often. My fist car was a 79 Pinto that I got in 1985, and that was the maintenance schedule I followed. Kept a case of oil and two cans of STP oil treatment stored in the trunk. Drove that car till 88 and the only maintenance was adding oil and 1 clutch.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
JK.My wife has a jeep wrangler and I change it every 5k with synthetic.I have a duramax and just change it when the computer tells me to.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
More frequently than every 5 K and you are wasting your money, unless those miles come on a Nascar track.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm still old school. I use full synthetic and still change every 3000 miles along with rotating the tires. A waste, probably, but a small price for peace of mind.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My vehicles are driven by a multitude of drivers and are used hard.
I change my oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
At trade in time, @ about 100,000 miles, I get a better trade in price on my vehicles because the dealership can see that they were well taken care of and meticulously maintained.

The vehicles that are driven for longer periods between oil changes tends to suffer from low oil pressure, knocking - ticking noises, wear, lower compression, gum up, just plain looks dirty inside...

I have had engines that were torn down at 20,000 - 30,000 - 50,000 miles by the GM garage, and they didn't even have to replace the rings or bearings when doing a overhaul.

These new engines are a lot better then the stuff 20 - 30 years ago.
Now the bodies rusts off and the engine still runs good.
40 years ago it was the other way around!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts