The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I usually just walk out the back door of my camp. Sometimes drive a mile or two down the road. I have no idea how far of a walk I take

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remember walking in the woods is much slower...maybe up to an hour for every mile you move. Once the season takes off, i have a garmin for cycling, i'll have to take it with me and see the distances for grouse, rabbit, duck, etc...kinda cool!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
5 or 6 miles is my normal. I have a pedometer I use when I remember it. There are days when I have done that twice. More of a hike than a hunt sometimes. Occasional squirrel of opportunity pops up, just going slow and enjoying the early fall is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Having a device that helps to estimate walking distance is great! I think most people tend to over estimate. The new PGC mapping application has a feature that allows the user to determine distance. If that can be used where hunting is taking place, it is another option available.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
My son has an app that he uses when he runs. It tells him all the basic information a runner would want to know, but it also gives him a map tracing the route he just ran. Tracing where you hunted that day would be cool too, assuming you're more of a traveller when hunting.

I'd use it for that purpose, and also for marking all the grouse coverts I came across in my travels to give to my friends that also enjoy winging a bird or two.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would bet maybe 4-5 max but I walk slow in the woods and take a few breaks during the day. In my experience walking too fast just to cover ground causes you to pass by birds that might otherwise flush, especially without a dog.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I checked mine last year, just over 6 miles. That was sun up until about 4 in the afternoon when my dog and I couldn't go anymore. Only breaks were driving from spot to spot and a couple sits in "squagy" looking areas.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
trapmost,
Depends on just which mountain we are Grouse hunting on,
the average is about just under 10 miles. 5 miles out 5 miles back on most of the mountains, there are a couple that are only 3 1/2 miles however, and when the snow is deep everything gets cut back some.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Garmin Alpha tells me the dogs cover an average of 10 miles in a 2 hour hunt. I haven't played around with it to see the miles I cover chasing the dogs. I figure about 40 percent or around 4 miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rarely hunt the entire day. Usually done mid afternoon. If I had to guess I would say 3-5 miles. I do know its uphill both ways where I hunt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dont shoot over my gsp, but our winter hikes where I focus on looking for grouse we do anywhere from about 6 being a short hike, to 15 miles. We've gone 23 once but werent hiking for grouse just walking on the A.T.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
trapmost,
Many of our Grouse hunts are done in both morning and evening, so depending on the weather and how the men and dogs are holding up we can put on some extended miles during these kind of Grouse hunts, especially if it's cool and the forest is turning colors or the forest is in crystal & ice, we usually sleep in the next morning to rest up.
Pine Creek/Dave

Potter County mountains that go on for miles and miles and miles, bring your compass and a good Grouse dog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts