The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I and my uncle have killed several deer in 2B this year. We all have all the meat we need and are now just filling requests from people for meat. We got four tonight between the three of us and I said I was done for the year. They however want to continue so I will dog it for them til the 28th. If the meat is being utilized, I see no problem. Just curious what others think?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I personally would not participate.

You're just asking for it on this forum without more specifics on the circumstances.

If you are killing doe where for certain they are way overpopulated to the point of starving themselves or completely destroying the habitat, it's one thing. I am very skeptical that such places exist in 2B anymore, co-workers living in 2B say that the parks and such near them are on the way to being shot out. But I don't live there, and it's a big WMU. Might still be places they need knocked back.

If you're out killing doe in places where you normally do not hunt, you might be really ruining it for others who do hunt those areas regularly.

If you're providing venison to some veteran's home, someone no longer physically able to hunt their own deer or is in dire economics due to a job loss or disability its one thing. If you're just out killing deer to provide $6 meat to someone who won't hunt for themselves, or likes summer sausage but can't bring themselves to kill "Bambi" it's another thing.

Without more details, if you are "filling requests from other people", are you cutting up and packaging the meat yourself, or are they paying to have it processed? If the answer is the latter, then in my opinion they can afford to buy their own meat, learn to hunt on their own, and should not be taking a huge windfall by getting large quantities of venison for the cost of a doe tag. Hunters who purchase licenses their entire lives are financially supporting the PGC and the future of the sport. If you are killing deer for able-bodied, employed non-hunters, then in addition to the cost of your $6 doe tag then those people should be writing a check each year to the PGC for a "possession permit".

In fact, is it even legal to possess venison without a valid hunting license and harvest report card, or a road-kill possession permit?

Perfect alibi for a poacher. Where did the freezer full of deer come from? Oh, a buddy gave it to me.

·
Banned
979 Posts
As long as your legal and they are all properly tagged there is no issue but all the Holier then though Elitists here will soon chime in with the doom and gloom and make you feel like you did something wrong!!

·
Super Moderator
26,651 Posts
Montana Mike said:
If the meat is being utilized, I see no problem.
As long as you got the tags and the areas your hunting can sustain the kill, I see no problem either. In fact, I say congrats on helping with the management plan for that area.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Bill_Weber_RRT said:
DethFrumAbuv said:
Nevermind......
Need a tissue??
Montana_Mike was man enough to ask for people's opinions regardless of what they might be. He surely didn't expect the forum to unite in those opinions. And beyond tagging, there are laws and regulations related to possession of carcasses or animal parts. He may or the others involved may or may not be in violation of some law and not realize it. If someone says "kill me a deer and I'll fix your brakes", that could be construed as "bartering".

That's against the law. You can read the law on the PGC web page. You can read more about manners at your local library.

So someone doesn't agree with the approach and suddenly they are an "elitist", whatever that really means? Perhaps you can put down your jar of myrrh and explain it.

I certainly don't need a tissue. I really don't care what he shoots when it comes right down to it. Neither he nor you will ever get that chance behind the ring of yellow posters that keeps out the unwashed masses. If you try, the law enforcement you will be conversing with will be chartered with dealing with crimes involving more than just bunnies and bambis.

Am I "elite"? You bet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I will say my 2 cents. 1st off you have a great chance at shooting one of those big bucks you been after all year. 2nd, tell them to wait till the archery season starts as all the does are pregnant as I am sure you found out while gutting them. If you are hunting private property and want some doe management then its on you. If it is your normal stomping grounds..I would say you are a fool. My 2 cents!!!

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
How did we go from...."filling requests for meat"...to...."kill me a deer and I'll fix your brakes", that could be construed as "bartering".

The OP did not even give a hit as to that going on, how did you read that in his post?

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I hope you are fortunate enough to be in one of the Allegheny suburbs that provides almost no access to the Deer, and are filling the endless amount of tags that are stupidly allocated by the PGC for the "special reg." area. If not, then you are part of the "problem" I've been screaming about for years on here. Not your fault of course, as they provide you, pap, and uncle a legal means to do it.

Psssst. Hey PGC.... SEPARATE ALLEGHENY COUNTY FROM THE REST OF 2B AND USE A SEPARATE ALLOCATION FOR ALLEGHENY THAN THE REST OF 2B. Or would you rather sit back and blindly watch the slaughter that is occurring in my rural portion of 2B ? Ya think this touches a nerve with me.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Montana Mike said:
My dad and I and my uncle have killed several deer in 2B this year. We all have all the meat we need and are now just filling requests from people for meat. We got four tonight between the three of us and I said I was done for the year. They however want to continue so I will dog it for them til the 28th. If the meat is being utilized, I see no problem. Just curious what others think?
If you are killing that many deer in the same area and I believe you are then you are doing exactly what needs to be done in 2B.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Fleroo said:
I hope you are fortunate enough to be in one of the Allegheny suburbs that provides almost no access to the Deer, and are filling the endless amount of tags that are stupidly allocated by the PGC for the "special reg." area. If not, then you are part of the "problem" I've been screaming about for years on here. Not your fault of course, as they provide you, pap, and uncle a legal means to do it.

Psssst. Hey PGC.... SEPARATE ALLEGHENY COUNTY FROM THE REST OF 2B AND USE A SEPARATE ALLOCATION FOR ALLEGHENY THAN THE REST OF 2B. Or would you rather sit back and blindly watch the slaughter that is occurring in my rural portion of 2B ? Ya think this touches a nerve with me.
Couldnt agree with you more Fleroo. The area of 2b that i used to hunt (private but not posted) has been hammered. Deer are scarce which is exactly what PG wants in that areas. A complete mismanagement of our deer herd.

Mike, I give you a lot of credit talking about this topic. On occasion, I run into this same dilema with the beer in my fridge. My wife tells me, "just because you bought a case of beer doesnt mean you need to drink until it's gone". Same with unlimited doe tags in 2B.

If it were me, I'd call it a year if my freezer were filled. Now if you're hunting for a family that needs the meat, that's a different story. Good luck an congrats on a filled freezer.

B

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
If you are coming on here to ask, then YOU must think you have shot too many already. Take that for what it's worth

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
But if deer are scarce in your area I highly doubt he is killing them there. Sounds like he is killing deer in an area with too many deer.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
If you are killing that many deer in the same area Allegheny County and I believe you are then you are doing exactly what needs to be done in 2B Allegheny County .
Fixed that for ya.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts