The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking from a post last week, about how fortunate our family was to have four generations enjoying the outdoors together.

My dad and grand father didn't hunt but they loved to fish, not too long ago we spent many days on the stream My Grandfather, My Dad & my son & I. My Grandfather passed about 9 years ago but I thought maybe with my dad being a young grandfather that we would be able to do it again but he got sick last year and lost his short battle with cancer.

Just curious if anyone else has had three or four generations that they were able to spend time together. Doesn't have to be hunting or fishing, heck some of the best times were pap, dad and myself watching my sons football games.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Three here. Lord knows how I wish my son could have known the Grandpap he was named after.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My son was born 3/25/10 and he is a III. We started a group photo with my dad, son and I. We hope to cntinue this tradition for years to come.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Three here. My son is 6 and just enjoyed his first "boys" trip for the trout opener with his Grandpa. Sat night he was sitting at the table with the men like a litte man himself. It was weird remembering when I used to do the same thing and now looking at my son doing it. My dad looked at me and said he was so glad he could make the trip because it was one of his greatest times ever at camp. I'm sure I'll be looking back one day at last weekend as a Grandpa while my son sits accross from me with his son. I only hope my dad is there to share it with me.

·
Administrator
30,250 Posts
Three here. My older daughter and son had the priviledge of having Pappy still with us as they learned to enjoy the outdoors. Thankfully, they and my younger ones still have Gramma too!
Next month will be nine years since my Dad lost his fight with cancer, but next month is also the expected arrival of my first grandchild.
God willing, we'll keep the generation level at four for some years to come.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was fortunate to hunt with 4 generations this year, on land that has been in the family for 5 generations. My grandfather, my dad, me, and my nephew. We were all successful in harvesting a deer but my nephew. It was better to help my 80 year old grandfather get his deer than get one myself.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Three for me, It was nice to be with My dad, brother, his two sons and my two sons this past weekend. We all spent the 1st day of trout together fishing and enjoying the time well spent.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
As for the outdoors 3 generations.

But for a while we had quite a few 4 generations enjoyment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was really hoping to have 4 generations but didn't make it. My daughter is just getting old enough to really enjoy the outdoors and fish etc but my grandfather passed away recently. This past weekend was hard because my little cousin tagged another trophy mature tom in the youth hunt. 2nd year in a row for that and he is only 8. Anyway it was tradition that if our grandfather wasn't on the hunt with us the first thing we do is go show him. I'm sure he was looking down and smiling with pride.

I have many, many, many memories of three generations enjoying the outdoors together. My Dad, Grandfather and I had many spring turkey hunts together. They both were with me when I got my first bird, many years ago.

The old saying is true, a family that enjoys the outdoors together, stays together.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
3 generations here, Grandpap, my dad and myself have been hunting together since I turned 12 and I'm 26 now. Hopefully we have a few more years left together.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Never thought of it much. At best we've had skipped generations. Must be real tough to accept, after three or four generations of hunters, that the next one is the computer geek generation. Or that they'd rather have a new computer ipad instead of a new deer rifle.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I have only hunted with my father but deer hunting is a long traditon in my family and goes way back.
Im a first generation trout fisherman. no one in my family fishes regularly.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
3 here. Me, my son and Dad and we just completed the 3 Generation Slam this week filling our turkey tags...Sat, Mon, Tues!!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Got to fish with my grandpa, and uncles. My grandpa passed before I got the chance to go hunting with him. My dad has given up hunting. But I'm hoping to be around long enough to take my kids children hunting and fishing. My kids love the computer games but they'll take an afternoon of catching sunnies and bass at the family farm over Mario anyday.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
3 generations here. I wasnt lucky enough to get to hunt with my grandfather though. I love hearing the stories though. I will never forget the days me, dad, pap, uncles, and cousions were all together at all our family functions.

Me my dad and my brother were talking the other day. My father never really thought of this until I mentioned it. Him and his brothers and sisters are only the 2nd generation to be born in the USA and obviously my brother and sisters are 3rd generation. My family has been here for 100 years next year but when you break it down the way I just did its kind of crazy

·
Registered
366 Posts
when i was younger, we had three generations fishing together, but nowadays my pap and dad arent on speaking terms... it's pretty cruddy especially now that i can truely appreciat things like that

·
Registered
760 Posts
3 generations here...my father, myself and my son...for hunting and fishing. Not looking forward to the day it becomes just my son and I...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts