The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 31 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts

·
Administrator
14,122 Posts
I go up to our camp about every chance that I get.

It was my grandfathers place years ago than my dad inherited it and now it belongs to me and my younger brother.

I was up to camp only a week ago.
I'll be going back the 3rd week of october for 3 weeks.

Great hunting all you need to do is set on a run and sooner or later a nice buck will come through.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hunt up here all the time. It's great.

Much of what has been said already is true. There is plenty of land and plenty of game, but getting at it is sometimes difficult or worse. Roads can be bad, campgrounds close by October 1.

Please keep in mind that something like 98 percent of the land in Maine is privately owned. We do not have any SGL worth talking about, just a few WMUs that are postage stamps on the map. A lot of the private land is not posted - we have a general rule that if it isn't posted you can hunt it. But, if possible, it's always better to have permission. Problem is, a lot of the owners are absentee, assuming you can figure out who the owners are in the first place. Just be sure to observe the 100 yard rules we have, which you need to read for yourself.

Hunting the Big Woods is an adventure, for sure. Be prepared before you go in.

You do have bigger bears in PA, but that's because they're raiding gardens and anything else people leave out.

Pheasant is put and take. Grouse are where you find them. The closer to human population centers the spookier they are. But we have them in the city of Portland, where I live. A friend's setter once locked up on a landscaping tree in a schoolyard once - the grouse was perched in it. Hares are likewise pretty much where you find them - in the woods almost exclusively, unlike cottontails. Cottontails are protected here as it's the edge of their range.

The part I think I like best is the length of our seasons. Small game runs all of October, November and December with no interruptions. Rifle deer is a bit more than the entire month of November. Bear is earlier (usually starts around Labor Day) but that's because by November if they aren't denned up they're looking for trouble with not having put on enough weigh to survive hibernation. Hares run October 1 through March 31. I hunted grouse Christmas Day last year with a couple inches of snow on the ground. That let me see where they crossed the trail behind me after waiting for me to pass.

Yes, the deer run larger up here. That doesn't mean they're stupid. 35 Whelen's deer appear real. I've seen any number of them that large. BTW - deer over 200 lb dressed are so-called "patch deer", where you send proof in to the Maine Sportsman and you get a "Biggest Bucks in Maine Club" patch to put on your jacket. They'll publish a list of people who qualify in one of their winter issues. There are hundreds every year, even though we only harvest maybe 30,000 deer in a year. Hope you got your patches, 35. BTW, drives are illegal. It's a safety thing.

Come on up, have fun, be safe, spend money. The vast majority of us are good sportsmen and will welcome you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hunt up here all the time. It's great.

Much of what has been said already is true. There is plenty of land and plenty of game, but getting at it is sometimes difficult or worse. Roads can be bad, campgrounds close by October 1.

Please keep in mind that something like 98 percent of the land in Maine is privately owned. We do not have any SGL worth talking about, just a few WMUs that are postage stamps on the map. A lot of the private land is not posted - we have a general rule that if it isn't posted you can hunt it. But, if possible, it's always better to have permission. Problem is, a lot of the owners are absentee, assuming you can figure out who the owners are in the first place. Just be sure to observe the 100 yard rules we have, which you need to read for yourself.

Hunting the Big Woods is an adventure, for sure. Be prepared before you go in.

You do have bigger bears in PA, but that's because they're raiding gardens and anything else people leave out.

Pheasant is put and take. Grouse are where you find them. The closer to human population centers the spookier they are. But we have them in the city of Portland, where I live. A friend's setter once locked up on a landscaping tree in a schoolyard once - the grouse was perched in it. Hares are likewise pretty much where you find them - in the woods almost exclusively, unlike cottontails. Cottontails are protected here as it's the edge of their range.

The part I think I like best is the length of our seasons. Small game runs all of October, November and December with no interruptions. Rifle deer is a bit more than the entire month of November. Bear is earlier (usually starts around Labor Day) but that's because by November if they aren't denned up they're looking for trouble with not having put on enough weigh to survive hibernation. Hares run October 1 through March 31. I hunted grouse Christmas Day last year with a couple inches of snow on the ground. That let me see where they crossed the trail behind me after waiting for me to pass.

Yes, the deer run larger up here. That doesn't mean they're stupid. 35 Whelen's deer appear real. I've seen any number of them that large. BTW - deer over 200 lb dressed are so-called "patch deer", where you send proof in to the Maine Sportsman and you get a "Biggest Bucks in Maine Club" patch to put on your jacket. They'll publish a list of people who qualify in one of their winter issues. There are hundreds every year, even though we only harvest maybe 30,000 deer in a year. Hope you got your patches, 35. BTW, drives are illegal. It's a safety thing.

Come on up, have fun, be safe, spend money. The vast majority of us are good sportsmen and will welcome you.
One more thing: the biggest nuisance animal in the state is the wild turkey. They're everywhere in the southern half of the state. Our spring season doesn't end until the first weekend of June. Fall season is pretty long too. Please hunt them.
And if you like to hunt coyotes, you're very welcome here, too. We have lots of them and you can hunt them at night, too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dave I’m sold lol, thank you for posting! Although I was sold on buying land and building a cabin up there the first time I visited Bangor and Brewer area.

there’s a chunk of 75 acres I’d love to buy right now around Alton that has a cabin on it already (albeit needing major repair or raizing/burial). But for $60k I won’t complain...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dave I’m sold lol, thank you for posting! Although I was sold on buying land and building a cabin up there the first time I visited Bangor and Brewer area.

there’s a chunk of 75 acres I’d love to buy right now around Alton that has a cabin on it already (albeit needing major repair or raizing/burial). But for $60k I won’t complain...
Before you level the cabin, do check with a local engineer/surveyor to make sure you could rebuild. Depending on where the building is (especially but not exclusively relative to shorelines) it might be grandfathered such that it has to remain standing in the same footprint and, if you remove/level it, you might not be able to rebuild.
You'd be amazed at what passes for acceptable camp (we call them "camps", not "cabins") construction. You might want to decide what to do with it then, if you're going with stick-built as opposed to log cabin, prefab it during the winter at home. Or dope out all your cuts in advance so you can work quickly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dave, ygpm. I’m of the same mindset. If the structure itself is sound I’m not afraid to renovate the cabin tbh and would rather it stay standing

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I hunted moose there last year. An experience I would not want to repeat. Beautiful place, but I’ve never been surrounded by a group of hunters with poor sportsmanship then what I encountered.
Interesting. I've killed two Moose in VT and one in NH but I've never been drawn in Maine. Have not had any problems with the locals on those hunts. But I can't speak for Maine. It may well be a different scene.

21 - 31 of 30 Posts