The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I’ve seen a handful of you discuss hunting in Maine. How many though regularly go there to hunt every year?

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I have been hunting on and off up there since 1969. There was a span of about 20 years when we went every year.

Unfortunately I have not been up there hunting in last 10 or 12 years. I love hunting the big woods up there.

Reactions: WanderXC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is gorgeous up there. I’d like to do some hunting myself in their woods, which is why I’m asking here. Trying to get an idea of what to expect

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
The southern part is more civilized, farms and wood plots. The western mountains a little less so. The northern half is big woods. I hunted the area around Patten when I first started up there. We stayed at a lodge but then I met a local and we camped on his land and near Pleasant Lake for a few years.

We hooked up with some folks at Winterville which is in the big woods of Aroostook County. We stayed with them in their home and then at a location up the road in Eagle Lake as our group grew bigger. Eagle Lake is just east of the Allagash area.

The last 5 or 6 times I was there we stayed in Greenville or Jackman.

Greenville, Jackman or Eagle Lake are all big woods. The down side is towards the end at Eagle Lake and then Greenville we were seeing more moose than deer.

I do not know if anything has changed.

Reactions: Peenoe Hunter

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been to Farmington in the northwest once..Bangor/brewer area twice. Two different worlds for sure. Eventually I’d like to buy a plot of land and build a small off grid cabin around Bangor or north a bit. Penobscot or aroostook counties...

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
Did some deer hunting out of Fort Kent a number of years ago. Not many deer but what's there are HUGE....almost the size of a small moose!!!! Hunted Allagash Wilderness Area.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I’ve been to Farmington in the northwest once..Bangor/brewer area twice. Two different worlds for sure. Eventually I’d like to buy a plot of land and build a small off grid cabin around Bangor or north a bit. Penobscot or aroostook counties...
We hunted bear NW of Farmington. I didn't do much exploring because we fished during the day and were put on baits at night. I do prefer Aroostook to what I saw around Farmington.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Did some deer hunting out of Fort Kent a number of years ago. Not many deer but what's there are HUGE....almost the size of a small moose!!!! Hunted Allagash Wilderness Area.
Eagle Lake is 12 miles south of Fort Kent. Most of our hunting was divided between hunting east and west of Rt 11. We did go into the Allagash on occasions but there were more than few places closer that produced.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You looking to hunt small or big game?
Most of the population lies along the coast, north of Bangor you're getting into wilderness area, also true of the central and west part of the state. Spent my time around Aroostook and Washington counties in the northeast. To give you an idea Aroostook has about 33000 people and is about the size of New Hampshire. Translation....lots of woods (much of it paper company land with free access) . As far as deer I believe there are more than most people think. But they are in pockets and the shear amount of land and density of the woods make them very difficult to hunt compared to PA.
Tons of bears, many good grouse and snowshoe hare areas, lots of swamp lakes and creeks so I would expect good duck hunting also. Of course moose if you can draw the permit. Haven't done much fishing up there but meaning to get to it.
That concludes our Maine Dept of Tourism tour for today. What am I, an idiot sitting here? Time's a wastin' I gotta get packed to go to Maine!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I hunted moose there last year. An experience I would not want to repeat. Beautiful place, but I’ve never been surrounded by a group of hunters with poor sportsmanship then what I encountered.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I hunted moose there last year. An experience I would not want to repeat. Beautiful place, but I’ve never been surrounded by a group of hunters with poor sportsmanship then what I encountered.
That has always been an issue up there. Some locals I knew would brag about taking "sound shots". They would hear a noise in the woods and shoot in that direction.

I have a friend who was shot at while wearing FO. The round hit a tree next to him. He confronted the guy and got the State Police involved. They locked the guy up for agg. assualt.

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
I guess all depends where you're hunting in ME. I know the section of the Allagash Wilderness area I was hunting I didn't see a hunter in 6 days.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You looking to hunt small or big game?
Most of the population lies along the coast, north of Bangor you're getting into wilderness area, also true of the central and west part of the state. Spent my time around Aroostook and Washington counties in the northeast. To give you an idea Aroostook has about 33000 people and is about the size of New Hampshire. Translation....lots of woods (much of it paper company land with free access) . As far as deer I believe there are more than most people think. But they are in pockets and the shear amount of land and density of the woods make them very difficult to hunt compared to PA.
Tons of bears, many good grouse and snowshoe hare areas, lots of swamp lakes and creeks so I would expect good duck hunting also. Of course moose if you can draw the permit. Haven't done much fishing up there but meaning to get to it.
That concludes our Maine Dept of Tourism tour for today. What am I, an idiot sitting here? Time's a wastin' I gotta get packed to go to Maine!
I’d like to do the fishing more than the hunting but when it comes to the latter it’s most likely going to be more of a subsistence living kind of thing. Mostly small game but putting a deer in the freezer over the winter would be nice to offset grocery bills. I have a dream to be able to farm a small section of land and just live off grid up there. Retirement goals in 30 years? Simple living is what really attracts me to that area. Bangor is like stepping 25 years into the past in small town NwPA

·
Registered
830 Posts
Bear hunted up there back quite a few years ago,went with a guide and outfitter Stony Brook was the name of the outfitter, hounds and bait is what he used. I got a nice bear about 250-275 lbs. Shot him with a Bear compound bow. Great place to hunt but we have bigger bears in PA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I Love Maine for fishing and hiking. A buddy of mine was there for deer season last year east of Bangor, but still big woods. He saw about one deer per 12 hour all day sit. This was with an outfitter.

Gotta really enjoy Maine and big north woods Deer hunting to invest the time into the trip from what I’ve heard.

Grouse hunting however would be a different story.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts