The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you do not use the xxfull , or xtra full turkey choke tubes. Just out of curiosity. I know some of them are that tight, i can see where it could be easy to miss a bird at close distances. I did some patterning last week, I patterned a indian creek turkey choke .655 I believe. the pattern was very tight. I shot it at 30 yards. the pattern was left, though. went and shot factory full seen the same thing. So tried some different ammo etc.. not much change. So I decided to try and see what type of pattern i'd get out of my kicks high flyer full, that I use for waterfowl, and it patterned very nice and even. not as tight but definatley good enough to harvest a bird. I got some time to pattern, some more etc.. but just curious how many do not use the tight chokes.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
My ex-girlfriend and I both killed our birds with my Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge that has a "built in" modified choke. High brass 6 shot at 20 yards killed both jakes DRT.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I have a mid 80's 870 Special Purpose with a fixed full choke 26" barrel. I believe (for me) this is the absolute best set-up. I get a nice "volley ball" sized pattern at 25 yards and a 90%+ pattern at 40 yards with Federal Flight control 4s and 5s. With the Heavy 13 blend (5s,6s&71/2s) it's a bonnafide 50 yard gun. The gun ONLY likes 2 oz. loads.
She's a killer!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I've used the hastings .655 choke for 20 years with 2oz. #5's from federal..it will smash em out to 50 without a question the only problem is when they are 5-15 yards away..the pattern is so tight that a miss is very easy..all it take is for the tom to move his head and it seems it's never still and you'll miss em..I've been aiming at the base of the neck lately and haven't had a problem even close..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never missed with my old Remington 11-87 that came with a modified choke, but of course I messed with success. I now shoot an extra full choke and notice the pattern is a bit right. Plenty of BBs in the neck and head at 30 yards, but a lot of shot on the right side. I warmed up for my PA hunt by taking a jake on opening day here in Calif. and used the extra full. I had two jakes at 18 yards, but my buddy and I were off on our timing. He uses an extra full choke, too. I wish someone was shooting a video of that hunt because I'm not sure what happened there. We analyzed it and seemed to arrive at the conclusion that I'm the dumb [censored] who shot first. Was a deal where I had the bird on the left, he had the bird on the right if two came in together. Typical jakes they mixed back and forth before getting to the decoy, and they stayed close to each other. I don't know how I didn't shoot two. His bird jumped up and flew off when I shot. He believes he shot under it as my bird was tumbling down the hill. I had choke issues with a Mossberg 835 that I'm working out with a choke dealer who has recommended the choke number and the use of Federal 6s in the gun. I'll get out a few more times to hunt here with the 11-87 (we're allowed three birds in the spring here, and believe it or not, it's on the honor system), but I will pattern that Mossberg when I get to PA and put in the new choke and shoot the Fed 6s to see if it improves it. I missed two with that Mossberg in central PA up near the NY border a couple years ago and vowed I'd never use it again. But as I'm pretty thick-headed (my Polish side) and don't give up on things easily (married for 19 years May 22).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's a few of the pics I had from patterning. as you can see the indian creek was much tighter, but regardless of which ammo, it was consistant, left. these were at 30 yards. the kicks high flyer full, waterfowl choke , is probabaly more like a modified lead. some where around .710 if memory is correct. still got some time to mess with it yet. thinking about trying some heavy shot and see how it patterns. I know it was definatly better in my sons 20 ga. versus high brass #5's. Not much I can do as far as adjusting the sights, I have a tom Napp sight on it. and i shot a round of sporting clays not long ago and done fairly well, so im a little reluctant to start changing anything .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Pattern #1 looks fine, #'s 2&3, iffy at best. I wouldn't want to have to compensate holding more to the right. Then ya start to question "How much hold?". Too much thinking is not good. Best wishes on filling your tags!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Factory full choke.... old school single shot H & R 10 ga.

Its worked for 30 years !!!!!

Kinda like an old Timex...it takes a licking and keeps on ticking !!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
fall gobbler said:
I get a nice "volley ball" sized pattern at 25 yards and a 90%+ pattern at 40 yards with Federal Flight control 4s and 5s. With the Heavy 13 blend (5s,6s&71/2s) it's a bonnafide 50 yard gun. The gun ONLY likes 2 oz. loads.
She's a killer!
90% in how big of an area?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
problem of shooting left or right can be easily fixed if your gun has a vent rib barrel...get yourself some tru-glow sights that can be adjusted. they mount easily to the vent rib and can move your pattern up, down, left, right....

of course if you have a plain barrel then youre kind of out of luck with that idea

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.