The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many coyote you guys have managed this year (hounds or calling)? I haven't been able to hunt much at all this year due to my work schedule and divorce being finalized. Our group has had chases every weekend but only managed about a half dozen. My one buddy's group from work is on #35 and I have another friend whose group is up to 33. I took a couple friends out calling who wanted to get a fox and managed a few. With the fur market so poor I really didn't have much desire shooting fox.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
..this season has been a whirlwind...lots of stuff going on..

..called in ..I stopped counting at 20....most didn't present good shot opportunity...

..misses..I missed 1...hunting partner missed 5

..shot 4...hunting partner 2

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Just wondering how many coyote you guys have managed this year (hounds or calling)? I haven't been able to hunt much at all this year due to my work schedule and divorce being finalized. Our group has had chases every weekend but only managed about a half dozen. My one buddy's group from work is on #35 and I have another friend whose group is up to 33. I took a couple friends out calling who wanted to get a fox and managed a few. With the fur market so poor I really didn't have much desire shooting fox.

We gotta get our for a few drinks soon!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
....we hit NY last night and got a double on first set...took a good hour+ for them to finally commit....

First hunt using thermal and nv.....all I can say is it opens a whole new visual perspective..it's unbelievable!

I can only imagine the hundreds of coyotes that I have NOT seen on sets using lights or the ones that have spooked because of lights and spooked from driving up to the spot to hunt. To be able to actually watch a coyotes negative reaction when a vehicle, 400 yards away, comes down the road is priceless.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Between my neighbor kid and me we have a total 20 over bait. I killed 18 between 2 bait piles and my neighbor killed 2. The season didnt seemed to be a bit slower than last year but we still killed around the same amount as last year.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
..Called in 2 yesterday evening.

..they defied the wind theory by coming with the wind and over our right shoulder.

..when buddy said "on my right" he ACTUALLY meant 20' to his right...not 150 yards out in front and right...he saw it without the scan light.

..In a matter of 3 second they were bouncing to the call at 125 yards..

..when I squeaked and stopped them I said I'm on left one Are you on right...nothing...the right one started going away...I changed sound and shot... he never saw that there were 2.

.. the mate ran around out at 250 yards for about 5 minutes howling and barking and finally went into woods and continued howling for 15 minutes but never came close enough ...

This, yotes flying in from up-wind, was something that has happened to me at least a half dozen times. Enough to know better and be prepared LOL.. We had actually moved twice totaling about 200 yards closer to them when they were howling( we could barely hear them)..unless they were the other group we heard way across the road..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts