The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am new to crossbows. Just curious, how many arrows do you take hunting?

Have you ever needed to make a second shot on a deer that you hit and were trailing?

Note: I am not counting decocking arrows.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I always have 3 but I might start taking 4 , Example for 4 this year my 14 year old son spined his buck it went straight down but need a killing shot he wiffed on the 2nd shot since by then his buck fever had kicked in ,luckly we were able to get out of the ladder stand and he was able to get 10 yards away and finished him off. But that got me thinking one more bolt wouldn't be bad to have along

·
Registered
58 Posts
5, my quiver holds that. Gotta ask, how many bullets do you take? A gun seems to be a superior weapon and I know guys that take a whole box.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I usually take three BH plus a field tip. Two lighted nocks and one normal. I did put a second arrow in a deer this year, though not while trailing. The first shot went higher than intended...it was about a 40 degree down angle and I didn't bury the crosshairs enough. The deer was paralyzed/stunned, but probably only the offside lung, so I reloaded in my climber and shot it again. It was either that or hurry down and use a knife. If it was a ladder stand I would have just climbed down quick, but of course a ladder stand would not have been high enough to make that same shot. That said, I am leery to approach a struggling deer with the possibility of a broadhead sticking out.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
4, just cause my quiver holds 4.
That is my number and the same reason.

I do have extra arrows and broadheads at my camp and my house just in case. LOL. Although we never had to go back for more. I have had a couple instances with the kids where their 1st shot wasn't the best and the deer stopped and allowed them a 2nd shot. We have also had a couple of spined deer that because of circumstances there was a couple of shots required to finish them.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
In 45 years of archery hunting mostly with a compound bow one time I shot 3 arrows to take 2 coyotes. The first went down and the second was penned to the ground but still moving so I finished him off. A other time I had a buck "Jump the arrow" and I was lucky and to get a perfect spine shot then I used a second arrow to finish hm off....

With a compound bow never had to take a second shot yet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to hunt with a recurve. I remember taking two shots at the same deer. The first went under and it jumped but it didn't run. Missed on the second shot too. Having extra arrows for a bow or shells for a gun makes sense.

I am not sure about my situation with a crossbow. I am in a ladder stand and wouldn't attempt to cock the crossbow from there. If I were to hit a deer with a non lethal shot, I think it may be better to just wait in the stand. Going down may chase the deer and then it would be harder to track.

It seems to me, you have one shot at a deer with a crossbow when you are in a tree stand. That is why I asked the question.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Quiver holds 3 so thats what i take with me. I have never felt like i would ever need more with it. Fortunately with a crossbow we have a 0 lost deer record so far and even been comfortable with 2 of the kids shooting deer within minutes of each other using the same crossbow.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I take three tipped with broadheads. Only time I ever needed all three was spring turkey season about 6 years ago. It was one of those morning that the gobblers were responding like crazy. I am ashamed to admit I missed three gobblers that morning running and bowing with the crossbow. I had to go back to camp and get some new broadheads, lol.

In my own defense, two were deflected and one I just plain missed.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
... I am not sure about my situation with a crossbow. I am in a ladder stand and wouldn't attempt to cock the crossbow from there. If I were to hit a deer with a non lethal shot, I think it may be better to just wait in the stand. Going down may chase the deer and then it would be harder to track.

It seems to me, you have one shot at a deer with a crossbow when you are in a tree stand. That is why I asked the question.

Most of the time, yes, but there is always the chance you may need more bolts. Several posters have mentioned spined deer, that's happened to me as well (with a compound). If you spine one you're either going to have to shoot it again through the vitals, or fight it on the ground with your knife or a club, neither of which is a very good option.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I usually have three broadhead tipped arrows and three judo point tipped arrows with me. When rifle hunting I take 5 rounds, that’s what the gun holds. Never ran out of arrows or bullets while hunting.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Like others I take what my quiver allows. I take 4 arrows. 3 with broadheads and one with a field point. I use that after I leave the woods to discharge the crossbow.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Just 3 that's all the quiver holds

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My quiver holds 4, but I've been taking 3 for the last few years. Those 3 are the ones that group the best, don't have a 4th arrow at the moment. I've been archery hunting for 17 years (8 with compound, 9 with crossbow). I've missed a few times in my years, but was never given a second shot. One time I did spine a doe with my compound and had to follow up. The 2nd shot missed, its amazing how much your form changes when you accidentally spine a deer and try to finish it quickly, but the 3rd shot was good. Only time I've ever shot more than 1 arrow during a hunt.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I start with 6 and usually have 3-4 left by the end of the season. This year I had 5 as I only took one shot. If I hunted with a crossbow, I would take as many as my quiver would hold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts