The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the woods now with a new flinter. If I don't take a shot is it safe to leave the charge in the barrel or should I fire it off? If it is safe how long could it remain and still be shootable? Can leaving it damage the barrel? When I say leave it I am talking about until wed when I can get back to the woods. New to the bp world and learning as I go. Have found some good info in this and the traditional forums

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If it hasn't been fired and didn't get wet it will stay fine....for a very very very long time...

Issue is....did a snow flake or rain drop fall in the touch hole just right??? Are you sure? Will you be upset if it doesn't go off because of it going bad?

Also...bringing it into a warm house...its going to sweat.....will it sweat inside the bore and chamber? Will it get wet? Again...is it worth the risk??

Some guys are fine with those odds...some store it in an outside shed or garage where it will be safe and not get warm...

Some guys use a CO2 discharger...it blows the load out the barrel...

Some guys...like me...I use a ball puller and pull the ball and dump the powder.... to me its cheap insurance and peace of mind...when I head back out I KNOW my charge is fresh and it should go off when I pull the trigger.....

Everyone is different...I know a guy "so cheap" he dumps his pan powder into a medicine bottle and reuses it....that is just crazy to me....same guy wonders why his gun doesn't go off too often! I dump pan powder all the time...I wipe my flint and frizzen with alcohol patches all the time...and if its messy wet out I pull balls and dump charges and reload in the field just to ensure my load is fresh and not wet....

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
safety is the main concern with it being loaded in the house. its never been a problem for me. mine comes into the warm basement and has for 30 years, with no ill effects. the gun goes off without any problems. you will get many answers here and you will have to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If the barrel was clean and oil free when loaded. Plug the Touch hole with a tooth pick and bring her in to warm up. It will be fine. Mine is sittin in the corner just in from the cold. The outside will get a wipe down after she is warm and put in the safe I wont get out till next Sat. But will have 100% confidense if i get a shot. Been doing it this way for 30 some years.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I took 2 of my 45's out this year.Touched off the custom Thursday after being in the snow and the 45 TC Hawkens emptied out tonite.Instant on both.
Keep the moisture out with a toothpick like Long Hunter said and you will be fine.I'd keep the same charge unless I hunt snow/rain.
With powder/lead getting higher priced and harder to find you gotta save your shots.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. One good thing is I will not have to worry about what to do on this outing. Double lung at 30 yards. Fell within 25. Sorry about pic quality but it was dark by the time I got her gutted and back home. I think I will like this flintlock thing. I also think I will empty the gun if it will be more than a day before I go back out. If it is only overnight or the next evening then I will plug the touch hole and keep the gun where it's not going to sweat. On a side note don't blast me for the synthetic stock flintlock. It's a TC firestorm... I wanted to see if I would like flintlocks before I dropped too much into a traditional long rifle and all the accessories. My neighbor let me borrow everything, except for the gun, that I needed to fire off some rounds and hit the woods. I was happy using round ball and patches with a true BP load behind it. I was confident out to 50 yards and made this shot count.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I loaded the first Saturday of ML in October, shot & missed; re-loaded for the rest of the day b/4 shooting that out and cleaning.

I came back the next Sat, loaded and hunted w/ no action. I plugged my vent and kept the gun in a case on the closet floor.

Yesterday, after hunting w/ no chance at a shot, I returned to camp and aimed at a log and it fired quick and fast as if I had just loaded it.

I inherited dad's Renegade in 2005 and after learning how to use the flintlock, I have left it loaded between October and January every year and it has fired every time!

·
Banned
900 Posts
Nice! Welcome to to the group. Repeat after me: "Hi, my name is ________ and I'm a Flint-a-holic." Looks like you're hooked now. BLACK powder is much more addictive than WHITE powder!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts