The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I justed started trapping this year! I put 5 sets in on Friday and have caught nothing! I was wondering how long you let the traps set if you are catching nothing? These are coon sets and am using T. Cavens "moonshine" as an attractant.

·
Registered
400 Posts
X2

Make sure you have coon to trap, but give it a few days. I had my best morning on fox and coon. They really moved in my region.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Set on fresh sign..I don't personally stay more than 3 days unless its on my way....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hard to imagine you havent caught a coon. They are most everywhere. Grinners are even more either prolific or just plain stupid with bait. If your setting streams your not doing something quite right. If your doing woods try fish or fishy oil. Sweet bait is good as many trappers use it before freeze. I let more coons and possum go every year. IMO stop the scent and use some bait is the key, or move on. I dont target either. You can set blind puddles and catch a coon. Throw a chicken bone in and get either. Depends on your location. If you are looking for coon. They will at sometime be around water. As for any animal. So, tell us where you are trapping and we can offer some more advise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first time I trapped this piece of ground, doesn't look like much sign. Thought I would give it a try just wasn't sure how long to let them set! Thanks for the info!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This particular piece of ground has no water around it for 1/2 mile or so! I to thought I would at least catch a grinner there but that hasn't been the case. I have used a mackeral, cat food, and pepperment extract mix for bait as well. I have caught 3 coons, a muskrat, and a grinner in the last 3 days on that in another location, just no sign of life on this property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts