The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife took a 20 yard shot at a doe while we were in the ground blind tonight. I watched it hit the deer right on the shoulder and the deer dropped right there. After about 30 seconds to a minute, the deer stumbled to it's feet and went 15 yards then back down. Then off in the woods. Found the arrow at impact site, broadhead(G5 Montac) broke off inside. I suspect one lung hit. How long to wait? It's been over two hours already since the hit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd go get it and if you can't find it go back in the morning to look around. Take a good light! I like blood trailing after dark as long as you have blood.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh we had good blood. There was a puddle the size of a dinner plate where it was laying in the field after the shot. Going back to look now, its been 3 hours since the shot. Got a couple of good lights. Let you know if I find her.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Sounds like a good hit,with coyotes and fox problems in the area I would give it a go tonight, back off if you find a bed where she had layed down and is not there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it stiff as a board. The arrow actually passed through both front shoulders. I have no idea where the broadhead is? It's not on the arrow.

As a bonus tonight the game warden gave my wife a ticket for an un-tagged deer. She started to have a panic attack in the dark and in the middle of a thicket that I had to crawl through. My main concern was getting her back to the truck and they were waiting when we got back. I told them i still had to tag it and what happened with her and they didn't want to hear it at all.

Well that was a quick hunting career for my wife, only took 10 years to get her involved in hunting and the GC one night to end it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
i agree they sure do know how to make people stop hunting. Tell her not to get discouraged theres butt heads everywhere. ive had a few run ins that were pretty funny. and both were just checks. Tell her Great Job and GOOD SHOT!!

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
Why would the fine keep her from hunting?If you look at it from the WCO's point of view you both could have poaching charges to deal with.You drag an untagged deer out after dark.You had 3 hours to fill out the tag.You possibly gutted the deer while your wife had a panic attack.Then drag it back to the truck.I am well aware of what a panic attack is,I would have taken the wife back to the truck before moving the deer.If the new laws are to have any merit they must be enforced.Your wife got a fine instead of poaching charges for both of you.I would call that a good outcome.Basically the WCO cut you a break.Deer must be tagged prior to moving the deer.He most likely took into account your wifes situation.If it took 10 years to get her to hunt and she quits over this,she was just hunting to make you happy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I can see both sides in this one. It's only money. Chalk it up to a teachable moment and move on. Would she quite driving if she got a speeding ticket? That is the rule and he is responsible to enforce it. Maybe there should be special exceptions for women and first deer...maybe not.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all those that provided postive responses. I realized this is a public forum and everyone has their own opinion and you all know how the saying goes...opionions are like(you fill in the blank), everyone has one.

Hiamovi,
You definatley have an opinion and you must be one piece of work. If you aren't a WCO already you should look into becoming one because you would have fit in perfect with them last night. I have to wonder, do you tag your deer before you go out for the day? I did have three hours to wait, why would I tag it without finding it first? You don't know my wife's situtation so I would like it if you kept your opinion to yourself about her attacks. That was a good suggestion leave her alone in the truck...or it's pretty stupid. I'm glad you think they gave us a break and enforced a law that could have been solved by letting her fill the tag out with the pen I got out of the truck when we returned. I hope when you have a minor incident they nail you to the wall with charges. We were honest and upfront before they even said anything to us about the situation, they were just out to justify the their job.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Funny I'll bet if they knew you or knew who you were there'd be no ticket...this is like so many other victimless violations an example of how in-effective PGC law enforcement Is... & will forever be... Battle winners & war losers! Congrats

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
You shoot a deer,drag it out after dark without a tag and then complain about getting a fine?Those WCO's certainly are an ornery bunch.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One thing everbody overlooked is, he came on here saying his wife hit a deer and wanted to know how long to wait. That sure does not sound like a poacher to me. If they where planning on doing something illegal Why post on here? That is the reason why hunters are leaving are sport. By the way I shot a turkey the other day and being my license was in my wallet I didn't have a pen What was I to do? leave the bird go get a pen? I did carry it home but the first thing I did was tag it. I was only couple hundred yards from house Good luck hope you can get your wife out again

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Wrong or right the one thing in the "bible" is that you have to tag a deer before moving it. Again I see where you are coming from but how are they to know you were not going to tag it. Chalk it up to lessened learned.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Read the regs follow the regs or be fined.
Just like driving I agree..................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts