The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long it takes y'all to flesh a coon? My average time is around 35-40 minutes. This was my first year fleshing so will my times get better or is that around the average?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
Yes your times will get better. don't rush yourself. It will come the first thousand are the toughest. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
5 to 10 minutes, the right tools make the job easy, the Necker knife really cuts down on time but takes some getting use to as Longear said dont rush it speed will come with practice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Blue English fleshing system, guaranteed 5 min coon with practice. I hate fleshing myself so it gets farmed out. Both of my fleshers' have the system and swear by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,832 Posts
dietsch said:
with coon , leave them lay a day after skinning. helps alot .
And the colder the better. Partially frozen skins flesh easier and you get a nicer job because the fat solidifies a bit...you don't have all that liquid grease running all over the place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I normally freeze the hides and flesh when I have time. I also noticed that after they thaw and I wash em in cold water it seems to go easier!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Kip Feroce said:
Blue English fleshing system, guaranteed 5 min coon with practice. I hate fleshing myself so it gets farmed out. Both of my fleshers' have the system and swear by it.
i can do them on the blue english in about 7-8 min. only thing i dont like about it is the beam should be narrower at the top. its hard to get fox and smaller coon down over it. love it for beaver. i can do a med size beaver in 15 min.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Lugnut said:
dietsch said:
with coon , leave them lay a day after skinning. helps alot .
And the colder the better. Partially frozen skins flesh easier and you get a nicer job because the fat solidifies a bit...you don't have all that liquid grease running all over the place.
Another good tip, well said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
bobcat said:
Kip Feroce said:
Blue English fleshing system, guaranteed 5 min coon with practice. I hate fleshing myself so it gets farmed out. Both of my fleshers' have the system and swear by it.
i can do them on the blue english in about 7-8 min. only thing i dont like about it is the beam should be narrower at the top. its hard to get fox and smaller coon down over it. love it for beaver. i can do a med size beaver in 15 min.
I have the same problem as you bobcat. I really like the blue english system, but it's too wide sometimes. I'm planning to set up a narrower board the same way for next year to do fox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
With a standard set up I run a 4 minute average. It jumps up to 6 with late caught boars that are more gristle than fat. Skin when they are hot flesh when they are cold. Get a system and get use to it. Practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Blue english has a fox beam as well. My fur handlers' like them as well. Same system narrow beam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
Since this is more or less on topic, how sharp do you guys keep the cutting side of your fleshing knives?

I'm putting up some coon for a friend right now and really thinking of putting a better edge on my Necker because I can't get a smooth, consistent cut when shaving the gristle off. Just wondering what everyone else does.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top