The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for anyone or any taxidermists out there. I took a coyote to my taxidermist in Nov. of 2011 it is now March of 2013 and he's told me it's going to be atleast another 2 or 3 weeks possibly. I understand the work demand of a good taxidermist that does great quality work, but should it take 16mo or more for a pedastal coyote mount? Thanks for any input and have a great day.

·
6,466 Posts
my thoughts are your at his mercy.....but should never be again.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have about 35 mounts done. The quickest was 9 months, the longest was about two years. It all depends on how busy the guy is with work. When you give that deposit, you usually sign some paper that says they strive for quality and not speed and there is no guarantee on the time frame it will be done. I have had some taxidermists tell me that a "good" taxidermist "should" take around two years. To me that is bunk. You can ask all you want, but as previously stated you have no ground to stand on for a discount in this case. Whether or not you go back is your decision. IMHO, a year and a half is close to, but not altogether unreasonable.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
It seems that time differs alot from taxi to taxi and year to year? When I dropped off my bear and picked the mount out I wanted there were 2 on the wall he wasn't quite done with yet and was told mine would look like those 2 as they were the same form. He said mine should be done in Aug? The whole time I was thinking if mine could be done in around 9 months why do you have those 2 and it is a year later?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Every taxidermist is an individual. Comparing him/her to other taxidermists is silly. What does your contract say? Did you ask the taxidermist why its taking so long? Did he/she tell you up front it would take a long time?
Asking other people why YOUR taxidermist is taking so long is as inane as people "bragging" about how quick they got work back from THEIR taxidermist.
Go to the SOURCE of your frustration and find the answer.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I've waited over a year for a good mount. It's long but I won't go anywhere else. I'm very satisfied with my taxi.

Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts