The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few boxes of 7mm and 25-06 ammo that is about 20 years old. They have been stored in my attic in their original boxes. I then placed the boxes in a bigger box. You guys think they are still good to go? Thanks

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
If stored properly, which that ammo wasn't, modern ammo is good for at least a lifetime. Ideal place is cool, dry, with limited temperature fluctuation. Your ammo is more than likely still usable, but I wouldn't trust it for hunting, on the off chance it has been compromised. 20 years of the extreme temp. changes may have some effects on ignition or accuracy.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If stored properly, which that ammo wasn't, modern ammo is good for at least a lifetime. Ideal place is cool, dry, with limited temperature fluctuation. Your ammo is more than likely still usable, but I wouldn't trust it for hunting, on the off chance it has been compromised. 20 years of the extreme temp. changes may have some effects on ignition or accuracy.
Let me add....the attic is also a room in my house that I use. Sort of like my upstairs man cave. So the temps were always pretty stable.

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
I am still shooting trap loads I loaded in 1974 with no current issues.....Still have some power left that I will be reloading soon.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I've used ammo stored for many years & never a problem. As mentioned....proper storage is the key.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I once bought a soft gun case at a garage sale. It had a zipper pocket and I found some 12 ga.paper cartridge shot gun slugs in the pocket. No idea how old they were. When did Remington Peters stop making paper shotgun gun shells? I was curios so I walked out to the range and fired one. Yup, it went off. Shot center at 50 yds. Kicked like a mule in my single shot Pardner.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
What everyone else said. Can't understand how you guys have old ammo, my stuff gets used up pretty fast. :wink2:

Reactions: Juniata4ever

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
Plastic shot gun shells came out in believe in the 60's. However, in 1967 I was still buying paper shells on sale for duck hunting.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
If you're shooting the all brass shotgun shells, then you have something that might be old!:grin2:

You can still buy paper hull shells... I know Federal still makes them. Probably not going to find them on most store shelves. More than likely have to order online.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I once bought a soft gun case at a garage sale. It had a zipper pocket and I found some 12 ga.paper cartridge shot gun slugs in the pocket. No idea how old they were. When did Remington Peters stop making paper shotgun gun shells? I was curios so I walked out to the range and fired one. Yup, it went off. Shot center at 50 yds. Kicked like a mule in my single shot Pardner.
Pop who is 88 now found an old side be side shotgun in the attic rafters of a friend when he was 10 yrs old along with paper wrapped blackpowder shotshells. Had friends uncle strap gun to a tree and tied a string to trigger. loaded and fired. Heard...click ... ...pop.... dink dink dink and OO buck balls roll down the barrel onto ground . fired all rounds with same results. probably turn of centry ammo when he did this in 1941

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have ammo from the 40's & 50's in my gun room! A little green and still in original boxes. I would think their still good?

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
Have 1 paper shell # 6 shot I am still holding on to for some reason, An 8 ga. empty, and several old 32 long and short, and 38 rim fire pistols rounds.

·
Administrator
29,610 Posts
I bought some surplus ammo that was manufactured in 1936 for the Carcano just after such guns became famous in November of 1963. The stuff was awful! Some rounds went off when I pulled the trigger, but some rounds took 2, 3, and even 4 hits from the firing pin before she would bark.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I bought some surplus ammo that was manufactured in 1936 for the Carcano just after such guns became famous in November of 1963. The stuff was awful! Some rounds went off when I pulled the trigger, but some rounds took 2, 3, and even 4 hits from the firing pin before she would bark.
Which caliber? The 7.35's are notorious for bad ammo, but not as common as the 6.5mm calibers.

·
Administrator
29,610 Posts
Which caliber? The 7.35's are notorious for bad ammo, but not as common as the 6.5mm calibers.
It was 6.5mm. It's easy to remember because I still have the gun and still take it for a walk now and then. With modern ammo that carbine makes for a nice little brush gun and it's been responsible for the demise of a few deer.

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
I shot a fall gobbler with a paper hulled Peters last fall. From my grandfather’s house, probably from the late 60s. Killed a doe two years ago with a Super-X .250 Savage, probably from the late 60s also.

Shot a bunch of old ammo, never had a misfire.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts