The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my second season of spring gobbler, still looking to harvest my first bird. How long did it take you to get your first one? Any interesting stories to go with it?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Hunted with dad my first 4 years...he it birds in my sights every season..I never took a shot..first day ever he put 3 Jake's in my lap..

He eventually shot one that came to him and not to me..

Turned 16 and went out myself for the first time and carried home a longbeard lol...

Keep at it....it'll all start to click if you pay attention to what works and what doesn't...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I can't remember exactly how many seasons it took me to get my first bird, 2 or 3. It was a jake and he was with 5 other jakes that I had somehow managed to call in on the last hour of the last day of the season.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no thats awful man, id never forgive myself lol god i hope it doesn't take me that long, but the way i see it it'll be so much more gratifying and special when we finally get our first one, thats what i keep telling myself anyway

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats cool, i wish i had an experienced family member to show me the ropes. Sometimes its hard to know what you're doing right or wrong. Im dedicated though, I'm going to become a successful hunter or Ill die trying

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Keep at it and good luck. You can learn a lot on here and by reading magazine articles on the internet. I've had the privilege to talk with some old timers at deer camp. I've learned a lot just by listening to their stories.

·
Registered
162 Posts
About an hour. Shot a jake first time I ever hunted them. Then I was hooked. Spent a lot of money on gear and took me a while to get my second. You can't beat hunting them when they are vocal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lucky you dude, i haven't even seen a gobbler yet, haven't even got a good look at a hen. It can be pretty deflating when you're not even seeing them but i know the time i put in successful or not will pay off in the long run

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
I don't recall specifically but probably 4-5 years. Turkeys were not that abundant round here when I began hunting them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I hunted once with my dad for turkey when I was a kid he was never really that big into turkey hunting, then I got out of it for awhile. Started back up around my senior year of high school I think and it took me 4 long years of learning, screwing up, and just making the wrong decisions. I finally had it all come together one day where I knew there was a group of a few long beards and jakes and was set up on them in the morning only to once again have them hit a field with some hens. I decided to belly crawl to the field where I could see them stuck my decoy in the ground and waited for the hens to leave gave a few clucks and they came in single file I picked out the biggest one...and missed (was shaking more then when I'm deer hunting) but hit him with the second shot....4 years and I finally had my first which was 20lbs with a 10in beard and 1 1/8 spurs...havent killed anything close to that big since. Just stick with it and eventually it'll all come together just learn from all your mistakes and you'll get one! Good luck!

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
You are going to get a lot of different responses with this question. Some guys started hunting them when there were not as many around. Some guys hunt areas were there still are not many. Some hunt private land were there are a ton of them while others hunt public land that gets a lot of pressure.

So with that being said I would not use the responses to your post as barometer or measurement to what it is that you are doing right or wrong. Just keep at it and with every season you will gain more knowledge and eventually it will all come together and you will score.

Just don't give up and keep at it.

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
I'm at about four years and I haven't even seen a bearded bird while hunting. That said, I'm pretty casual about turkey hunting. I don't take it as seriously as I do deer hunting, and I get out a lot less frequently (often only once a season). Plus, there aren't a lot of birds in the areas I hunt. I like getting out and hearing them and having an excuse to be in the woods.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I got one my first year spring hunting, 1976 on SGL 37 in Tioga County...still my favorite place to hunt.I just got my license in the mail so I'll be down there Monday.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Last year was the first year I started to hunt turkey more seriously. Missed a big longbeard at 25yds. Then this year on the 3rd day I killed probably a turkey of my life time. 22lbs, 6 beards totaling 44-45" and 1" spurs. Needless to say I'm now hooked on turkey hunting

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
A.J. said:
Thats cool, i wish i had an experienced family member to show me the ropes. Sometimes its hard to know what you're doing right or wrong. Im dedicated though, I'm going to become a successful hunter or Ill die trying
Dude, don't worry about how long it might be before you get a bird. Just have fun with the learning curve. Sounds like you have the right attitude.

Just as an example, I learned everything by myself for the most part and even after doing this for about 35 years and triple digit gobblers, each and every year I log thousands of miles on my truck and hundreds on my boots all before the season.

Remember, the harder you work, the luckier you get!
Enjoy the spring season.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Two years, Started hunting them at 17, first kill at 19. I'm 36. Been on them pretty much ever since.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts