Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which WMU's have:

Low population of bucks?

Low population of does?

Satisfactory population of bucks?

Satisfactory population of doe's?

Is public and private land different? How?

On what do you base your opinion?

How many days do you scout? How many days do you
hunt...with which weapon(s)?

Did you have success? Buck? Doe(s)?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
In my area of 2C, private land is the better choice, more than satisfactory numbers of deer of both sexes. Areas where anyone can get at tend hold less deer and are harder to hunt and alas, are subject to a lot of bad stuff from poaching to litter. More ground than ever before is posted.

But the WMUs are so big I have no clue what the other 90% of it is like.

I scout via camera just about 365. I have boots on the ground probably 10 different days during the summer and early fall prior to the seasons. I live for bow hunting, probably 20-30 trips or until I kill a buck. I hunt less and less with a gun, maybe a day or three if I haven't killed a buck.

I shot an archery doe, first doe in a decade, probably last one for a long time. I got a new rig this year and wanted to experience the performance and it had been three years since I had jerky meat. I also got an archery buck in early rut.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
2A, only hunt private. IMO, a very healthy herd.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I hunt 2A, mostly for archery, and have more than satisfied with the number of bucks I have seen over the years. From pre-season spotting, to sitting on stand, I can recall a number of days seeing 5+ bucks.
No "low" population of does either. Actually, I've seen the same if not more deer in the last 3 or 4 years hunting 2A then I did in 8 years hunting 2B. Not to mention the woods are much bigger now then I'm used to in 2B.
I hunt about 95% private land however, and am fortunate to hunt most of those with only 1 or 2 other guys.
As far as scouting goes...I spot ALL summer, hang stands all summer/early fall, and walk around/drive the quad everywhere looking for every imaginable trail, rub, scrape...any deer sign.
I hunt with the bow and have shot 6 bucks in the 8 years I've hunted. 3 in the last 4 years in 2A...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
WMU's are too big to make a blanket statement about any one. I hunt 4D and in my part the deer herd is pretty low. In other parts I'm sure there are more deer.I hunted for 9 days in rifle and saw less than 10 deer total and one legal buck. I hunt public land. From the fellas around here I have talked to ,the hunters on private property did'nt do any better. The population is just low here ,Period.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Hunted 3C
Hunted the first 2 days on public land
seen 4 anterless deer the first day.Would of got 1 but are anterless season started on saturday.Seen 3 deer at 1:45 and 1 at 3:45
The 2nd day no deer seen but only hunted till noon
I think deer movement was done on the piece of public land I hunted due to hunter movement.Monday was kinda warm so I think most hunters stuck it on on post being the reason for lack of deer movement
Tuesday it started raining very hard arond 10.I stuck it out till noon thinking hunters moving from post would have the deer moving but no deer seen
This piece of public land has taken its fair share of nice buc but this year the acrons werent there so either were the deer
But Id rather hunt public land the first 2 days because more hunters in the woods useally means more deer seen

The first saturday and monday I hunted private land in 3C
seen 3 anterless deer Saturday before 8am no shots offered

The first monday I seen 13 anterless from 6:45 to 7:45
I scored on a doe at 7:45

I think private lands good in the morning and evening but doesnt have the hunters moving deer that publc land has

No buck seen this season

in 3C I uselly see the same amount of deer every year betwwen 20 and 30 deer uselly only hunt the first 2 days and the 2 saturdays but havent gotten a buck in 5 or 6 years

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hunt 4D as well and although i shot a very nice 8 pt. in firearms season the deer herd in my neck of the woods has really been reduced. The amount of shooting for the number of guys in the woods would confirm this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hunt 4D. This has been my best year so far. I saw a lot of deer and I took a 7pt the first week of Oct and my doe a few days later. Both were taken on public land but i did hunt private land with my younger cousin. We saw a few but he couldn't connect. Rifle season wasn't so productive. I was a driver and we only saw 2 legal buck. My uncle got one and it was a nice 10 pt. Overall, less in some areas more in others. The corn fields were a major factor this year.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Private land is best in the areas of 3b, 4d, and 2g that i hunt. The deer seem to flock to the agriculture. Find an area with the right mix of agriculture, woodlots, and hillsides and you will have good numbers of deer. Not alot of deer in the deep mountains anywhere. My experience in 3b this year was a fair/huntable mix of buck and doe. The bucks i did see were nice ones. 4d had an excellent amount of doe this year, way more than last year, but far fewer buck this year than any year i have hunted there. 2g proved to have good numbers of both buck and doe this year but the majority of the buck did not make AR's and the ones that did were just down right puny. I run cameras april-january.

·
4,230 Posts
My 2A experience has been far less awesome then the other guys on here.

Hunted semi-private property in 2A for 5 years now and over the last 3 years I have seen less and less deer. Like the others I scout all summer and try to get into the spots I think are good but to no success.

When I first started hunting this property it was nothign to get 300-500 pictures a week on the trail cam with 6-7 different bucks of which most were shooters. Lately I have averaged just about 100 pics a week and have seen 1-2 shooters over a 3 year period.

I attribute a ton of it to poachers, I know that is a broad claim with no real evidence but I have met the other guys that "hunt" this property and they have convinced me ethics is not part of the repartee.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
In 4c on public land the herd is down and the private land it is crowded. Hunted multiple times i archery and rifle season and saw a flash of one buck saw two deer all rifle season on public land when I am use to seeing close to ten. Hit a doe on private land but didn't find her.

·
Registered
827 Posts
2g - poor to fair deer #'s on the public/private land I hunt. No harvest.
4c - fair deer #'s on public/private land I hunt. No harvest.
3d - good deer #'s on private land. 5pt and doe harvested.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
2c public land very crowded with hunters. Herd is down a lot. Still deer here but took another hit this year. Not harvesting a doe or attempting to this year. Just personal preference. Seems to be the story with many of the hunters i talk to. Wish they had smaller wmus and focused on hunter density. And no i am not a go 5 feet off of the trail guy.

Grouse and squirrel numbers are up. Saw more squirrels this year than any other even with the lower nut crop. I think with the less deer they are getting more food also less hunting pressure. Saw average of 6 greys a day when i typically saw one or 2.

Bear population is up had quite a few on cam and even got to have one come in right under my stand. It was just a little guy.

Forest looks good. Deer i did see were fat and healthy (less competition for food) Archery season rocked lots of sightings big bucks and non legals all over. 2 wall hangers and 5 or 6 little guys. 2 were legal. Saw few doe 2 adults 3 fawns. Did see them grouped up in rifle and missed one.

tons of turkey saw a groupe of 4 mature toms in archery season all beards dragging. Good sign and a lot of guys seeing birds.

coyotes are more plentiful. Didnt hear of anyone killing any in my hunting area.

fisher and bobcat are about the same. 1 fisher sighting but a lot of cat and fisher tracks in the snow.

I would say 2c looks good but tons of hunting pressure for deer this year and a reduced herd. Mild winter and low competition for food should make for a great next year... I hope.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
How is your WMU?????

I hunt WMU#3D. All of Pike & Monroe; the southern halfs of Lackawanna, Luzerene & Wayne; parts of Carbon & Northhampton.

I have no idea how many deer exists in such a large area. These big WMU's cannot be manage efficently and trying to do so is futile.

WMU#3D is a mix of cities, suburbs, ag ares, remote moutains, swampy plateau's and public & private...yet all lumped together. I don't get it and never will.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
seems like a lot of guys agree wmu are too big and should be managed differently.

I think another thing that should be researched is hunter density. 2c is pretty big and cambria county section of it has a ton of hunters. Not sure that this is ever taken into consideration. Also amount of private land could be a factor. Tough to add to equation but seeing 13 guys in less than a half square mile puts a hurtin' on em. LOL just my 2 cents.

just hope the winter stays mild and we get a good crop for next year.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Here in 5B, both buck and doe populations are high, but of course the doe population far outweighs that of the buck population, probably 8 to 1. The buck population is also starting to gain some age structure, and every year Im seeing more and more 3 year old+ bucks. A major problem here in 5B is an overpopulation in quite a few urban areas, particularly an overpopulation of does. Some areas are in the 30-50 deer per square mile range. Public land is different. The deer numbers on public ground are definitely closer to healthy levels. Certainly not as high, but Ive seen plenty of sign on the public ground I have visited. My property backs right up to a county park that is open to bowhunting only, and special shotgun doe seasons. I dont hunt the park anymore, but used to see tons of deer when I did, and I know guys that still do. Some of the state game lands I have been to nearby also hold good numbers of deer, but if I had a choice, I would be hunting the county and state parks open to hunting. My opinion is based on a total of about 200 days in the woods each year, between preseason scouting and actually hunting. I dont gun hunt anymore, and hunt strictly with a bow. Sometimes I get an itch and take out my flintlock in the late season. This year I saw just over 300 deer in the woods while hunting, and put my tag on a big 8 point on October 3. Last year I passed up over 30 bucks and didnt tag one. It was the first year in quite a few that I didnt. I never have a problem filling doe tags. I wish I could get more for some of the urban properties I hunt. Overall, due to the high percentage of agricultural land and urban sanctuaries here in 5B, the deer herd is thriving.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
The part of 2C we hunt is private, but open to the public.I would say more doe than buck because more doe were seen.Population overall is pretty stable i think.I took 2 doe this year, and both boys took one.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
My 2A experience has been far less awesome then the other guys on here.

Hunted semi-private property in 2A for 5 years now and over the last 3 years I have seen less and less deer. Like the others I scout all summer and try to get into the spots I think are good but to no success.
Your problem is the result of something I've been squawking about for years now. Virtually unlimited tags are issued for 2B with the intent of whacking Doe in and around the PGH suburbs. Because there is VERY limited, to no access in these areas, the tags are used (for over a month when regular firearms season closes) in the outlying 2B areas. Much of Belle Vernon and Rostraver encompass these areas. They need to FIX this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts