The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get some pics this weekend, Just wondering how everyone is making out. I was going to plant a week ago and I am glad I didn't!! we had frost one or two mornings that would have killed. I have onions, lettuce, cabbage, sweet peppers, inferno banana peppers(1 flat), tomatoes, 20 cucumber plants, zukes and garden beans to put in this weekend. Garden is already prepped with lime and fertilizer and tilled 3 times. Once just to mix in the lime and fertilizer.
I also planted 2 Moonglow pear trees this past Saturday. I can't wait for them to grow up!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Surprisingly, I noticed yesterday some of my spring onions have deveveloped seed pods. I picked them off. A bit early for that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mines lookin pretty good. I took my chances and planted everything thing but my tomatoes a little early this year and it seems like it worked out. It seemed like it got off to a slow start, not sure if it was the cold nights or the dry spell we had. Will have radishes by the end of the week and lettuce next week. Only problem I had so far was some ofmy potato seed rotted and never came up, but I replanted them last week. Beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish, etc all look good. Put tomatoes in sunday. Decided I was sick of messing around with stakes and string and cheesy cages so I got a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh yesterday and I'm gonna make some real tomato cages this year. Well see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Onion, Brocoli, kale, and brussell sprouts in a month ago- doing great. Built a raised strawberry bed 3 weeks ago mmm. planted the rest of the crap last evening. Just need a few more mowings to cover the whole thing with grass. Horse manure for fertilizer this year. doing it very cheaply this year all naturaal. Can't wait for the watermelons in July/August!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
We did mostly container gardening this year, with some grape tomatoes in hanging baskets, a few tomatoes in pots, summer squash and zucchini in pots, various herbs, and peppers, eggplant, and beans in these planters called "city pickers" that are actually pretty cool looking. So far everything is looking pretty good, starting to get a few green tomatoes, one pepper plant starting to bloom though they're all still pretty small, and sprouts are up for everything we planted from seed.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
John S said:
Surprisingly, I noticed yesterday some of my spring onions have deveveloped seed pods. I picked them off. A bit early for that.
John,mine were the same way,I had 8 that had a seed head,I cut them off too.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Papsattic said:
Mines lookin pretty good. I took my chances and planted everything thing but my tomatoes a little early this year and it seems like it worked out. It seemed like it got off to a slow start, not sure if it was the cold nights or the dry spell we had. Will have radishes by the end of the week and lettuce next week. Only problem I had so far was some ofmy potato seed rotted and never came up, but I replanted them last week. Beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish, etc all look good. Put tomatoes in sunday. Decided I was sick of messing around with stakes and string and cheesy cages so I got a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh yesterday and I'm gonna make some real tomato cages this year. Well see how that goes.
If its the heavy wire that has 6'' openings it works great.If you cut it to 6 ft lengths it makes a nice big hoop,what I did was,at the bottom cut all the horazonal peaces that gives you 6'' spikes that way you can sink it in the ground.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I don't even know if I will do one this year.

Wife's order are a lot of landscaping for the yard and I wanna do raised beds mostly for peppers. Time is a big factor cause I still wanna do other things like work on camp and what not. I have a feeling this year will be my smallest garden yet. Probobly just a few potted pepper plants.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have started a few Trinadad Scorpion Peppers for someone...stand by as I may have a few to share. Google them they are hot!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL....... I woke up to find frost on the railings on my porch and garage roof... Ice on the windshield of the truck.. Checked the plants that were on my porch and they didn't appear to have any frost on them?? I sprayed them off with water and put them in the warm garage this morning. I figured with the temp around 40 it wouldn't frost but it did!
I have really nice plants too. I am hoping I don't get home to a bunch of brown crunchy stems.......

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I put the majority of my garden in a little over a month ago when it was real nice out. Potatoes, peas, lettuce, carrots are doing well. Strawberries are everywhere. I'm going to have to start giving away plants this summer, because I have officially run out of room for the runners to go in my pyramid. Put my tomatoes in 2 weeks ago and they've been really taking off. Bush beans have been my only struggle so far. I probably put them in a little too soon. I will probably have to re-plant them since only 5 or 6 of the 25 or so seeds have germinated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made it home and opened the garage door real slow not wanting to see if my plants were burnt... They made it just fine, not even a brown leaf. I got my Jalapenos, cukes, zukes, beans, onions, lettuce and cabbage all in yesterday. I plan on putting the majority of the rest in tonight. Plants looked a little cold this morning, I threw some water on them just in case!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Planted tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepeno peppers and egg plant this morning. All I have left to plant is some cucumber sets.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My gardens been in for 2 weeks and is doing great. Tomatoes have doubled in size as well my peppers. The Cukes, Zukes, and Beans came up a few days ago.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I planted a couple of weeks ago. Got spinach (from seed planted over a month ago) twice already this year; picked lettuce for the first time today; and already drying cilantro.

Tonight or tomorrow I have to pick mint.

I have 2 kinds of tomato in and all are flowering.

Bells are doing so-so; but the Jalapeno have peppers on already.

Beans and cukes are up from seed and looking good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday we got the garden all finished up. Planted 48 inferno's, 6 Big Bertha's, 6 parks early set, 8 tomatoe plants and 4 rows of sweet corn(along with all of the earlier mentioned plants) I will try to get some pictures on here this week. Pretty much hilled everything except for the corn. Never did any "hilling" before but the wife and I really like the way it looks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Papsattic said:
Decided I was sick of messing around with stakes and string and cheesy cages so I got a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh yesterday and I'm gonna make some real tomato cages this year. Well see how that goes.
They work really well, I've been using them for years. Once the tomato's get tall you might want to stake the cages, sometimes if it's really windy they blow over.

My garden is done for now, I ran out of room. I planted lettuce,spinach,peas,broccoli,brussel sprouts,cabbage,tomato's,bell peppers,serano peppers,onions, basil,parsley,rosemary and pickling cucumbers. Everything, so far is doing good except I need to spray the cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts because something is eating the leaves.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I never had any luck with them either.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts