The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I stink,so how high should I go to get above the scent thermals. I have two twenty ft. Ladder stands and still get winded ! I use scent blocking clothes, shower twice a day and still get busted. I use scent control soap,laundry products. Any and all hints will help.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Yep. You've gotta be ridiculously high to get above thermals. Probably hundreds of feet. Have several setups for each wind direction. Prevailing winds in my area are from the west, and northwest. Most of pa is that way. For that reason, most of my sets are setup for that. Terrain can also dictate wind currents as it moves around and up and down terrain features. I take that into account as well. Be flexible with your sets, don't think you have to keep it there all season. If you're getting winded, move. Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I haven't been winded all year to my knowledge. I try to hunt the wind, but very hard to here, always changing on the mtn. I shower with dove unscented soap, use unscented deodorant spray, wash clothes in sportwash. Leave outside in totes that I cut the sides out of and put in screen, so they can stay dry, but air out. I also use the fresh earth hss wafers. I gave up on the scentlock scam long ago. As far as height, depending on terrain, could be anywhere from 8-25'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,952 Posts
I always try to locate my stands with the wind in my favor, but like GRock said thats not always possible with the ever changeing and swirling winds in steep terrain. I have been more successful by going high, my bow pull up ropes are 35 feet long and most of the time i will climb until my bow comes off the ground. Sounds crazy high but i feel comfortable at that height and far less deer will smell you and almost never see you. People will argue shoot angle at that height but i think it is irrelavant. No matter how high you go in a tree or the distance a deer is from your tree you always pick a spot on the deer and visualize your arrow exiting the opposite shoulder area. Obviously the higher you go in a tree and the closer a deer is to you the higher that aim point will be. I also gather up a bucket of acorns in the fall and crush them, dump them in the bottom of a plastic tote and lay a vapor barrier on top of them because they will mold over time. Keep your clothes in the tote and you will smell like an acorn all year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,618 Posts
You can't get high enough. I use a LW climber and like to be in that 30 ft. area, sometimes higher. Not so much because of the wind as the fact that, with a climber, it's like being on a telephone pole, and they will definately see you at times. Always play the wind and, if you can't or it switches during the day, cross your fingers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
I will be a guy who argues shot angle if you go too high. A deer is only so wide. So the higher you go the higher you have to aim like Pa.Bone said. The problem is if the deer is really close and you aim really high you have a higher percentage chance of only getting one lung because of the angle.

I hunt at 20ft and almost never get busted using my LoneWolf handclimber. You have to watch the wind and you have to look for cover, either on the tree you climb or behind you. Climbing a telephone straight pole with no other trees anywhere near it will greatly increase your chance of getting busted. I like to climb split trunk trees or trees that 'Y' higher up. Then I climb to that 'Y' and I have a nice backdrop. I have done this and only been 12-15ft and still had deer at 10 yards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
How you approach your stand is very important also. I will go to the extremes to make sure I approach my stand properly. Most of that will come from scouting and knowing how your deer travel. My favorite is approaching from a water source if possible. I found stands where they were set up facing the direction one would have to approach from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
I got winded twice this season. The first time in two years. I smoked my hunting clothes and had the same buck come in down wind but out of range. He didn't seem to be alarmed. I used my small backyard fire pit and hung the clothes on a line in the smoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
My platform is almost always at 25ft. I pay attention to rising and falling thermals. The swirling winds can be a real crapshoot at times even on ridgetops. Regardless of how crazy you are with scent control, they're going to smell you if your scent gets to their nose. Whether they spook or not is another story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,047 Posts
randy1953 said:
Guys I stink,so how high should I go to get above the scent thermals. I have two twenty ft. Ladder stands and still get winded ! I use scent blocking clothes, shower twice a day and still get busted. I use scent control soap,laundry products. Any and all hints will help.
I agree with hunting the wind, but I have a suspicion you are missing something in your prep. or in your clothes, equipment prep. as well. My feeling is personal preparation of yourself, your clothes, and your equipment is about 20%-30%. If the wind is good, you can get away with more. If the wind is bad, you are going to get busted 8 times out of 10 no matter how good you are. You might get lucky 2 times with a bad wind, but usually not, and in late archery, you usually only get 1 chance. My problem this season is most of the property I have to hunt needs a W-NW-N wind. I can't count the number of S-SE-SW wind days we had in Tioga county. Even the last day of gun season- December 8- was a S-SSW wind. Usually by then it out of the N-NW and blowing hard and cold.

Some general tips--hunting boots- use for hunting only, don't wear until you are walking in- change to drive home as well.
Stands, bows, etc. - spray them down with scent elimination spray as well.
Clothes- don't get dressed until you get to the hunting area- I got a 24x36 rubber kitchen mat from Walmart to stand on getting dressed at the back of my truck.
Underwear- wash a couple pair with your scent free soap and keep them for hunting only.
Outer wear to drive in- I keep a pair of old pants or sweats- washed in scent free soap- this is what I wear to drive to my spot- then get dressed in my scent free hunting clothes- change when you get back to the vehicle.
Try different body washes- my wife says the green stuff makes me smell like carbon, and DDW doesn't cover body odor- I use Wildlife research scent killer.
Deoderants- best one I've found is Arm and Hammer unscented- again- gotta see what works best for you.
Bath towels- I have 2 I wash with scent free soap to use when I shower to hunt so I'm not picking up the smell of fabric softner as I dry off.
One last thing I do- and it's probably overkill, but starting 1 full week before archery starts AND CONTINUE until the last day of gun season, I only shower with scent free body wash and shampoo, only use scent free soap, only use scent free deoderant, and NO AFTERSHAVES OR COLOGNE. I even have scent free soap and body wash in my locker at work so I can shower after teaching my classes in scent free soap.

I hunt 18-25 feet with my climber, depending on the tree, the canopy, and the terrain around me. My pullup rope is 20'- when it is tight, my summit top is 20 feet from the ground, my feet are 18.5'- If I go higher, I judge by how much of my bow is suspended or off the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,952 Posts
Squirrel said:
I will be a guy who argues shot angle if you go too high. A deer is only so wide. So the higher you go the higher you have to aim like Pa.Bone said. The problem is if the deer is really close and you aim really high you have a higher percentage chance of only getting one lung because of the angle.

I hunt at 20ft and almost never get busted using my LoneWolf handclimber. You have to watch the wind and you have to look for cover, either on the tree you climb or behind you. Climbing a telephone straight pole with no other trees anywhere near it will greatly increase your chance of getting busted. I like to climb split trunk trees or trees that 'Y' higher up. Then I climb to that 'Y' and I have a nice backdrop. I have done this and only been 12-15ft and still had deer at 10 yards.
Squirrel i think high angle shots are not much of an issue with modern compounds because of the penetration. I think it is a very high percentage shot and try to angle my arrow down thru the heart area. I'll take a shot at a deer directly under my tree versus 40 yards away any day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys,where I hunt is in a swampy bottom and the wind swirls constantly. Being almost 60 getting higher than 20 ft is unnerving. I guess I'm looking for a magic bullet and there aren't any of those lying around. I've done most of the things that have been discussed here. Thanks for the imput.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
It is tough but you need to identify an access route and wind drection to hunt that area and then find a stand location marginal location with good access and wind direction with make for better hunting than great sign and poor access or wind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,466 Posts
i always have some stands ready for s or sw winds. never fails that we get alot of those in archery season.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,809 Posts
One can do all the crazy prep we all do and it helps a lot, but we can still get winded on occasion. However the prep as well as the approach, exit, number of trips in your hunting location, noise, movement and wind direction can all give one away....And it only take one of these things to ruin a great hunt.

It is said a whitetail deer can pick up the scent of a human at 1,000 yards in open country.....Perhaps less in the woods or uneven terrain. I but I bet we would all be astonished at just how many deer pick up on our location and we do not hear or see them. They simply and quietly go around us. However, when they come into our area causally we think we are a master....Me included.

Regarding the height I plan with the back drop cover, the terrain and the wind like everyone else. My pull rope is about 24 feet. I tie it onto climbing standing platform and do not exceed that height. The higher one goes the smaller the kill zone due to extreme angle. If you must hunt low use a tree stand which you can hide behind your tree and still make a shot or chose a cluster of trees when possible.

Above the scent level? Who knows at any given moment...terminals, terrain, gusts, leaves on the trees/bare trees etc. Maybe if there is a constant wind (If there is such a thing) it might just blow over the deer detection zone. However, go out on any given day any build a small fire, use lots of leaves to create a good smoke screen (Be careful) and just watch how many times the wind changes. On a calm day the scent goes straight to the ground and hovers often blamed as the six sense. The deer panicked for no reason.

Where there are several trails intersecting or a feeding location they can approach from ANY direction...into the wind cross wind or up or down wind. Often when they are called in or rattled in they will approach from down wind....All to be considered with "How High."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,605 Posts
Remember also that if it is calm out the thermals rise up the mountain in the morning as the air warms and they go downhill in the evening when the air starts to cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
Hittingguru said:
randy1953 said:
Guys I stink,so how high should I go to get above the scent thermals. I have two twenty ft. Ladder stands and still get winded ! I use scent blocking clothes, shower twice a day and still get busted. I use scent control soap,laundry products. Any and all hints will help.
I agree with hunting the wind, but I have a suspicion you are missing something in your prep. or in your clothes, equipment prep. as well. My feeling is personal preparation of yourself, your clothes, and your equipment is about 20%-30%. If the wind is good, you can get away with more. If the wind is bad, you are going to get busted 8 times out of 10 no matter how good you are. You might get lucky 2 times with a bad wind, but usually not, and in late archery, you usually only get 1 chance. My problem this season is most of the property I have to hunt needs a W-NW-N wind. I can't count the number of S-SE-SW wind days we had in Tioga county. Even the last day of gun season- December 8- was a S-SSW wind. Usually by then it out of the N-NW and blowing hard and cold.

Some general tips--hunting boots- use for hunting only, don't wear until you are walking in- change to drive home as well.
Stands, bows, etc. - spray them down with scent elimination spray as well.
Clothes- don't get dressed until you get to the hunting area- I got a 24x36 rubber kitchen mat from Walmart to stand on getting dressed at the back of my truck.
Underwear- wash a couple pair with your scent free soap and keep them for hunting only.
Outer wear to drive in- I keep a pair of old pants or sweats- washed in scent free soap- this is what I wear to drive to my spot- then get dressed in my scent free hunting clothes- change when you get back to the vehicle.
Try different body washes- my wife says the green stuff makes me smell like carbon, and DDW doesn't cover body odor- I use Wildlife research scent killer.
Deoderants- best one I've found is Arm and Hammer unscented- again- gotta see what works best for you.
Bath towels- I have 2 I wash with scent free soap to use when I shower to hunt so I'm not picking up the smell of fabric softner as I dry off.
One last thing I do- and it's probably overkill, but starting 1 full week before archery starts AND CONTINUE until the last day of gun season, I only shower with scent free body wash and shampoo, only use scent free soap, only use scent free deoderant, and NO AFTERSHAVES OR COLOGNE. I even have scent free soap and body wash in my locker at work so I can shower after teaching my classes in scent free soap.

I hunt 18-25 feet with my climber, depending on the tree, the canopy, and the terrain around me. My pullup rope is 20'- when it is tight, my summit top is 20 feet from the ground, my feet are 18.5'- If I go higher, I judge by how much of my bow is suspended or off the ground.
Great minds think alike wayne because you do all the same things i do with scent control, only i use scentaway products instead of wildlife research. Its a pain in the butt but it works. My friends think im nuts for wearing a different set of boots and clothes while driving in the truck, but thats why i consistantly kill nice bucks and they dont. I started washing my towels in scent free soap and keeping them outside this year. I also prohibit my wife from using any scented detergent in our washing machine before or during hunting season. All my hunting clothes and boots are kept in totes outside as well. As far as treestand height is concerned, i go as high as necessary or as high as im able to. Ive got one stand that i hunt in the rut occasionally that im only like 12' off the ground. There are very few trees in this area and i was forced to place a stand in a small locust tree. This year i had a nice 8 walk directly under me, i let him pass and as far as i know, i was undetected. Most of the time, with enough cover, i try to get to 15' minimum though with my hang ons and im ususually in the 18-25' range with my climber. Playing the wind is paramount though, especially with mature deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
I keep my clothes outside after the preseason wash and I change on the back porch. My hunting clothes don't see the inside of the house until I tag out or seasons are over. The only problem is once on stand, those dang stink bugs start crawling out of my sleeves. When I tagged out the smell of stink bugs was overwhelming...maybe that covered my scent.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top