The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the north we got apple blossoms out now, and the last couple mornings we had frost, on the grass some, more on the vehicles windshields and roof shingles.

SO how hard a frost do we need to kill the blossoms, cherry, crabapples, apples, etc...

·
Registered
215 Posts
This doesn't help, but it depends. The actual temp.(how hard of frost), the variety of plants, length of frost, how many frosts, and acclimation of plants to typical weather.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
According to a DWCO I was talking to recently, it takes temps of 27' or colder for 4 hours to kill the buds.

·
Registered
28,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys..

I kind of figured it had to be a bit more than the usual chilly spring morning, but as soon the trees start blossoming I get concerned after loosing all apples last year in May and that freak 20 degree morning rolled thru...even frost bite all the ornamental trees in my yard (which did not bother me as much).

Crossing my fingers for 2010...a great archery spot is in the balance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is what I have been told and read Temp. have to below 28 degrees also it depends on how the sun warms up the flower the next day.When it gets sun on them and warm up to quickly when you have problems.When you have an early bloom like we have, even the small apples have to make it through a hard frost.All my trees that have blossemed have more on it than most years and I hope like we all, that most will make it.

·
Registered
28,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that was a little scary, blustery cold winds and mid 40's last night in the evening, then woke up to spitting snow and a bit colder temps!! ...Check the temp and it was 31...so I guess blossoms are still OK?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts