The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Marlin 336RC (remlin) in 35Rem. What's the performance standard I can expect with 150gr. Corelokt spire points?

EDIT: Turns out the Marlin is an extremely clean JM. Lucky me to have picked it up at Remlin prices ($325).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Only "spire point" you can shoot as far as I know is the hornady leverevolution with a flexible tip, and they are 200gr. Unless you're just going to put one in the chamber and one in the mag and use it as a 2 shot.???

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Davy Crockett said:
Only "spire point" you can shoot as far as I know is the hornady leverevolution with a flexible tip, and they are 200gr. Unless you're just going to put one in the chamber and one in the mag and use it as a 2 shot.???
That's the ambition. I want to know in terms of performance. I know with the 200gr RN I can expect about a 2" group at 100yd. With the 150gr being further from the lands, will the jump open my group?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BBB said:
Shouldn't shoot a Spire point in a tube mag. Stick with a 200 Grain Corelokt .
Load one, rack, load second. 2 shots, all safe

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ken S. said:
Davy Crockett said:
That's the ambition. I want to know in terms of performance. I know with the 200gr RN I can expect about a 2" group at 100yd. With the 150gr being further from the lands, will the jump open my group?
Not necessarily. And I'm not so sure about the 150 being further from the lands due to weight and design. With the same cartridge length (if it is) the 200 is likely seated deeper. Each rifle is it's own rule, we can speculate all day but the only way to know is to shoot them. If you're expecting some longer shots and want to use the 150s that gun should shoot them well enough for hunting ranges.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and shot the 150gr SP. Did better than the 200gr RNs do. I may have to stick with the 150gr SP. The difference was night and day

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I love it when a plan comes together"
B.A. Baracus 1983

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have tried the 150's in marlin levers and remington pumps and none of mine shoot them worth a darn. the 200's are the ticket.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not denying the Marlin is designed for the 200gr and heavier, because it is. I was just saying the 336 I got shot the 150gr SP well above expectation. It out shot the 200gr Hornady FN I usually load for it. It was quite surprising.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Have always heard that your should not load pointed bullet in a tube,has any accidents happened because of this or is it an old"shooters"tale?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can by loading one in the chamber and one in the tube. Two shots, and primers don't touch the SP bullets. 2 in the tube though, is trouble

1 - 13 of 13 Posts