The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On public ground, is it possible to avoid crowds during turkey season? If so, how far do you need to hike in to avoid most other guys? Theres some areas that I was going to hunt where I could hike in a solid 3 miles before beginning hunting...will that be enough distance to not worry about other guys to much? I just wouldnt want to be stuck on public ground with other hunters every way I turn

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
It all depends on your individual area. I know of public grounds that get hammered and of others where you could walk 3 feet and have the place to yourself. The further you go, the more you will be alone, but maybe not totally alone. Further is not always better though. You have to hunt where the birds are, not where you want to.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I would say for turkey a half mile or more into the woods from the road should be sufficient. Don't count the walking in on the road, if you're walking in on a gamelands road.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Turkey hunters for the most part are relentless. I've found they'll walk forever it seems to find a hot bird. When turkey hunting you don't have to worry about how you are going to get one out if successful, like you do when deer hunting, so guys tend to venture further from their vehicles. I've killed gobblers within 100 yards of blacktop roads and 3+ miles back in the middle of nowhere on state forest land. When doing your preseason scouting you need to be not only scouting for turkeys, but watching where other hunters are to avoid them, and avoid being seen by other hunters so they don't take advantage of your scouting efforts.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have crossed a chunk of private land years ago and ran into 3 or four hunters. And I have seen big pieces of state land with very few vehicles or hunters. It depends on the day and the location. There are days when you can hit a gobbler from a dirt road in State Forest with no one near you. And you can be in deep and bump into someone. I don't think there is a specific distance you must go to be alone.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I find the exact opposite to be true...while everyone's out running all over the country side, the birds are staying very close to the roads..I've killed many over the last 5 years that were well within 100 from the road and most where half that...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Patience...always pays off......if there are alot of others around....let them do there thing......the birds may be silent...they will eventually give up - and go home.

THEN THE FUN BEGINS !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
BYHALIA said:
Patience...always pays off......if there are alot of others around....let them do there thing......the birds may be silent...they will eventually give up - and go home.

THEN THE FUN BEGINS !!!!!!
X2

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I worry more about hunting during the week than I do about distance from any roads. Depending on the terrain, you can hear a gobbler on the roost from a long ways off. Sometimes getting away from other hunters isn't an option but hunting while they're not can be.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Pretty hard to avoid other hunters on public land, I don't mind a little friendly competition.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I scout for as many birds as possible pre/during season (public land) and don't worry about who else might be hunting them. If I show up to hunt there and 5 other trucks come rolling in, or more likeley, I can't get anything going. Then I will move to one of my other spots and come back to this one another day. My point is, there is no use hiking 3 miles to avoid the crowds if there are no birds when you get there. Unless you just like to hike.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just sleep in during the week. Let all the guys give up and go to work. A lot of guys are out there running around early, then go to work or give up. Get those late morning birds that start gobbling again.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
Most of my spring turkey hunting is done on public land and people are not usually a problem.
The hikers and dog walkers stick mainly to the beaten path and usually are not out at daybreak.
If you know your area has some traffic try and use it to your advantage.
Good Luck

·
Registered
470 Posts
BIRCH812 is correct about that advantage deal, if there are other hunters about, I try to figure where they are and usually that's not too hard cause they're trying to out call each other and it becomes a duel, then turk bird knows they aren't real hens and slips the gap between them, right into my lap. Safety, hunting this way, has to be your top priority though, and patience is also a virtue coming in a close second. AND, when you do connect, those other hunters will be over to see you, jabbering about how they had that bird coming into them, and how if you weren't there being lucky, that bird would've circled and come right into them. You will know the whole story yourself, as you fill the tag and fasten your turkey tote to the birds legs !! sometimes the best call to use is none at all!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
everything i have ever read was 1300 ft from any parking area. figure out the easy ones and setup on a exit corador

only way i have ever taken anything on public lands...
let the masses do the pushing.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
Pretty hard to avoid other hunters on public land, I don't mind a little friendly competition.
Only ever seen 2 people in spring chicken on Public Lands. Always headed to the steep hills. Rarely anyone bothering birds here, and they know it! Only see 2 guys walking trails on way in or out!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I stay as far away from public land as i can get...can still here the BB go by my head after 20 years.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">If you can get time off during the week there is much less pressure . Many hunters leave the woods if they are not hearing gobbles . There are very few places in Pennsylvania where you can hike in three miles without hitting another road . You will find a quiet place at some point.</span>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts