The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
With the bow seems to be right around 30 yards. Rifle most shots have been 50-100 yards.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My shots are anywhere from 30 to 125 yards in the woods I hunt now with some well over 450 yards years ago when we hunted along the power lines.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Average I would guess archery 25 and rifle 75-100. The longest I ever recall is 251 according to my rangefinder.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would venture to say that my average is 200 and under. I have killed a handful beyond and my buck last season at 380, but my long shots are mostly in farm county in the SW corner of the state. I do have a few spots I hunt at camp in McKean that I could take some 3-400 yard shots, but the majority would 100 and in. This state has so much diversity in habitat types that I'd say it really depends on where you hunt.

·
Super Moderator
29,164 Posts
I'm going to guess that the average rifle shot in PA for me is 60-70 yards, with some taken at 90-100. Depends on where I'm hunting.
My longest successful shot (missed a mule deer at 300 once) was 120 yards with the flintlock when I was 15. Not sure who was more surprised, me, the deer, or my dad!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm going to guess that the average rifle shot in PA for me is 60-70 yards, with some taken at 90-100. Depends on where I'm hunting.
My longest successful shot (missed a mule deer at 300 once) was 120 yards with the flintlock when I was 15. Not sure who was more surprised, me, the deer, or my dad!
Dang, I thought was hot stuff this year when I made my longest flintlock shot....... 78 yards lol I got a lot of learning left to do

·
Super Moderator
29,164 Posts
Dang, I thought was hot stuff this year when I made my longest flintlock shot....... 78 yards lol I got a lot of learning left to do
I had a good rest over a log. I was 15 at the time and never thought about how far it was. Two years before that I shot my first deer, also with the flintlock, and that one was 90 yards.
Today I probably wouldn't attempt either of those shots.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
According to my records my average shot is approximately 53 yards based on my general recollections of the shot distance. My longest was technically 300 yards when I was 13 but I didn’t realize the deer was gut shot and we didn’t find it until a couple weeks later.

Other than that the longest shot I had was on a doe at 150 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Haven't read all the replies but seems my experiences are different than most. Built my 1st ever deer blind 7 seasons ago, prior to that I had a shooting bench there, and prior to that I just sat under the apple tree.. Usually take a buck and doe each year. I've never taken a deer from there under 200 yds. This past season is the first year I've even seen a deer under 200 yards but they were doe and I couldn't shoot them the first week. Most come across the field at around 225yds but sometimes they are walking the distant treeline and that puts them at 325-360. Used a 300Ultra until I sold that many years ago and longest was 347 with it, then used a 257wby until I sold that a few years ago, and for a few years now I use a 243. Buck in pic below taken at 335 with the 243. Never use my flinlock at this spot but most taken around 100yds. I hunt "mostly" the open areas in the front of the property because to walk across or around the openings up to the woods in the back results in deer knowing you are there and leaving. Better to just stay in the front and shoot across.

DSCN6381_1.jpg DSCN6380a.jpg IMGP5131.jpg

61 - 76 of 76 Posts