The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Guessing, but I would say 60-70 yards. I think my farthest shot ever was around 150.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Over the last 15 years my closest shot has been 120 yards and the longest at 409 yards. Average is probably 175 yards.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I shot one deer in my life over 100 yards. I was in a open field and got one a bit over 200 yards.

But I would have to say besides that one, the average shot is less than 50 yards.

Closest was about four yards. And yes, with a gun. A 7-point ran directly under my tree stand one opening day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
40 yards is average. Longest 100. In woods. We don't hunt fields.
I have take 2 deer with 2 shots all others have been 1 shot.
I don't think guys know there limitations. They just bang away....

some place I have hunted. My shots would only have been 30 yards max!
I enjoy hunting tight heavy cover.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Longest shot was in NY-175 yards. I'd saw the average for the 52 deer (yeah, I'm one of those guys who writes that stuff down!) I have shot would be 75 yards.

Will

·
Registered
162 Posts
Umm somewhere around 50 to 80 yards for most if not all. Some closer by chance at times and some maybe just a touch over 100. Probably never over 120 yards. Just the way it works out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am extremely fortunate in that I am a member of a camp where I could possibly shoot at a deer up to 1100 yards from select stands. I choose however to limit my range to 400 yards which based on my practice sessions is with-in my comfort zone. Through 50 years of deer hunting on the same PA tract, I would say my average shot has been 125 yards mainly because my primary stands are in large marsh areas.

·
Super Moderator
7,990 Posts
I've shot deer as close as the base of the tree I was sitting in (flintlock) and as far as 580 yards with a rifle. My 2nd longest was 397 yards.

If you discount those as the anomalies they are, I don't have many over 100-150 yards with a rifle. Maybe one or two (besides those two exceptions above).

With a rifle, my closest shot was about 10 yards. I've shot quite a few under 50 yards with a rifle. It's cool to make long shots and all, but the closer I can get them, the better I like it. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,501 Posts
Longest PA 225 yards. WV 275 Yds. Average shot with a rifle 80-90 yds. Slug gun 50-60 yds. Pistol 25 yds.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Rifle... my furthest was in a potato field on a wild hog at 325 (Prone and a bipod) we were helping the farmer out. Deer, I never shot one over 60, with a bow, my furthest on a deer was 35, Turkey was 54 yds (He was full strut, and still. I still think god was with me on that one.)

·
Super Moderator
13,501 Posts
275 yds. on a whitetail buck in WV and 225 on a doe PA plus a 130 yd free hand heart shot on a PA doe. Groundhogs 425 & 427, but I haven't shot a groundhog in about 20 years, but believe I could easily extend that range now as I have much better equipment....

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My average over the last 12 years is 170 yards. That number is pulled down by the half dozen shot under 30. Most common shot at the primary stand is 150-175, but every now and then they pop out close. Longest was 365 seated under a hemlock on the edge of a cut hayfield, knees supporting. The 20 years prior, I was in thicker cover, with the average shot right around 60-70 yards, with the occasional spitting distance shot mixed in.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I'd also say 50 to 75 yards. I hunt a nice travel corridor through some thick stuff and am 25 feet up in a tree. So I get shots fairly tight in. I did shoot an 8 point a few years back that I had in the scope for quite a while trying to make sure he was legal. He was about 60 yards away at one point, but by the time he stopped and a I got a good look he was about 110 yards. That's a fairly long shot for me.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Guys the last post in this thread before today was in 2016.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts