The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
For the most part we hunt within Mifflin County on the edges of laurel thickets where shots rarely exceed 50 yards. But years ago we hunted the farm and hardwood country of Beaver County. It was there that I shot a heavy bodied buck at approx 125 yards or so. I hunt with scoped lever guns, either a 30-30 Marlin or a 300 Savage. I typically leave the scope setting on 2X.

TR

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
In Pa, with a rifle, I've killed them from right under my tree stand out to a little over 100 yards, so I'd say average would be 50.

·
Premium Member
24,167 Posts
Having hunted thick woods all my life, my farthest shot on a PA whitetail has been 83 yards. My dad, who has hunted the same type of woods for over 45+ years has never shot one over 100 yards

We hunt old cuts, which are now birch and sassafras saplings. Some places you can't walk through them there's so many so close together. It's almost like a wall. Being up in a stand really doesn't help much.

Before they logged off all the mature hemlocks, dad hunted the hemlock thickets. He told me numerous stories of bucks he's gotten less than 20 yards. One in particular was close enough after it ran from being shot, blood sprayed out on his boot it was so close.

Most of the hemlocks are gone now, so it's opened up some. It's still plenty thick though. If you haven't guessed, our guns of choice are 760's/7600's in either 30-06, .35 Rem, or .35 Whelen.

I hear lots of talk about 200 yard shots and up. Is that the norm now, or just a few cases? Our typical shots are around 50 yards. What's yours?
Since I hunt the thick areas most of my shots are 50 yards and under

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm guessing the Avg to be between 40-70 yards. Longest 278 yards. Confirmed with rangefinder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All of mine have been within 50 yards. I hunt a thick and brushy woodland area. I don't think I can see more than 150 yards where I sit. I also hunt from the ground which makes things a little more challenging.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
50-70 yards max. One of my spots I could shoot 150-175 but the deer travel a trail and I just let them walk within 50 and crack em. I hunt with a .222 so I wait patiently and let deer walk if need be.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My farthest Rifle kill in PA< was 785 yards, I got into the long range game back in the 80's, and have several kills at some distance, BUT they were sought out to be LONG range kills, and set ups were made to make them possible as well!

in basic hunting MOST of my kills in PA have been under 150 yards with MOST I would say falling in the 75 yard range on guns
and MOST Bow kills at about 20 yards!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I usually hunt thick areas and long shots aren't even an option.
Rifle - 50yds. or less. I would guess my longest was still under 100yds.
Archery - 30yds. or less. Most in the 15-20yd. range

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The shortest for me with a rifle was 38 yards.
The longest was 489 (ranged) with a .243.
Most deer taken average about 80 to 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've only killed two big game animals (both whitetails) in PA: one was with a scoped, semi-auto, smoothbore shotgun across a small cornfield at 118 yards. The other was in a mature timber woodlot at 75 yards with an inline muzzleloader. Both of these shots were from the ground with minimal obstructions.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm a still-hunter for the most part so most shot opportunities are up close and personal. I shot one at about 5 feet......Shot one at 125 yards on the old railroad bed.....Overall, I'd figure around 30 yards would be average.

Hard to miss 'em at that range as long as the trees stay put and don't get in the way.

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
Wow! I can't get over how close most of you are shooting your deer. I would say my average is somewhere between 100 and 150 yards with the rifle. Flintlock is probably averaging about 60 yards or so. In-line is probably about 100 yards. Archery is the only time I lit one get within 25 yards before the shot.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
127 yards shooting remingtion 300 ultra mag Federal Barnes tsx bullets topped with a leupold 4x12

In jersey 80 yards shooting encore 3 pellets 285 grains Barnes tsx sabots topped with a leupold 3x9 50mm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rifle I would say my average is 60. All but a few I can think of were 35-75 with a couple outliers.

I'm roughly calculating my archery average at about 13-15 yards. Longest deer shot with a bow is 40 but I have shot several times more under 10 yards than I have 30+.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts