The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having hunted thick woods all my life, my farthest shot on a PA whitetail has been 83 yards. My dad, who has hunted the same type of woods for over 45+ years has never shot one over 100 yards

We hunt old cuts, which are now birch and sassafras saplings. Some places you can't walk through them there's so many so close together. It's almost like a wall. Being up in a stand really doesn't help much.

Before they logged off all the mature hemlocks, dad hunted the hemlock thickets. He told me numerous stories of bucks he's gotten less than 20 yards. One in particular was close enough after it ran from being shot, blood sprayed out on his boot it was so close.

Most of the hemlocks are gone now, so it's opened up some. It's still plenty thick though. If you haven't guessed, our guns of choice are 760's/7600's in either 30-06, .35 Rem, or .35 Whelen.

I hear lots of talk about 200 yard shots and up. Is that the norm now, or just a few cases? Our typical shots are around 50 yards. What's yours?

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I'm assuming you are speaking rifle only. I've only ever killed 2 deer over 100yds. Most are under 60-70 when I pull the trigger, with a good portion of those being near the 50yd mark.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
For rifle season, my average is probably right around 50-60 with only one ever being over 100. For archery season, my average is easily less than 20 yards. 3 of the last 4 have been closer to 10 yards.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I hunt mostly Farm fields, average shot 150. I use a Tikka .243. Rarely less than 75, I limit myself to 250 yards. With the bow I limit myself to 30. Most shots around 20.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My average shot has been about 50 to 75 yds. I have shot them closer and further. The longest being 420 and the only reason I took that shot was that the Buck was in the open,I had a spotter on the range finder and a good rest. The beauty of that shot was after I hit him he ran toward me. My food plot is 120 yds long but they are usually walking toward me.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My average is probably around 100 yards butlongest was about 500 with my .300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The vast majority were less than 70 to 75 yards, and several much less. I can think of only a couple out to 100 yards and only one out to 150 plus a couple. I hunt forest lands.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Living in a Special Regs area, I rarely use a rifle anymore, but whenever I have, my average shot with the 30-30 was probably around 60 yards. Using the slug gun, probably about 50 yards. And for archery, I bet about 15 yards is the average.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Most of my kills with rifle or inline have been at less than 50 yards...archery is about a 10 yard average.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
My last three rifle harvests were within 60 yards.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Longest shot on a Pa. whitetail, 419 yards.
Shortest shot about 15 feet!
Average distance about 50-60 yards.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Longest rifle shot was just a shade over 225yrds across an open field. Longest slug gun shot with my savage 220 was 137yrds (absolutely love that gun). Typical shots have been between 40-75yrds.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts