The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
No distance is too far, but over 3/4 of a mile I’m putting a lock on up and it’s staying there, but in PA since the law changed I bring the PA ones in now.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Over the years I probably passed on at least a dozen bull moose stalks because it would have been extremely difficult to recover them. The outfitter I hunted with has taken a couple hundred moose, he said I hold the # 1 and #3 kills in the worst possible places. Chainsawing for hours to fight the Argo in. Killed a moose at 2pm, got back to camp at 2am.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Fair question. If I like how the map looks I’ll be there. Rarely ever more that 3/4 of a mile for me tho!

·
Registered
21,028 Posts
i shot a doe this year on the erie national wildlife refuge in cambridge springs at the end of the muddy creek holly trail, the sign says that trail is one mile long. i walked in, shot the doe and dragged her one mile to the car. all on a well groomed, wooden trail that was built in case handicapped hunters want to use it. :)
problem is the deer dont stay on the trail and no one clears the snow off it. i dont see how handicapped hunters in wheelchairs could use the trail at all.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Furthest I go is 2 miles, but I ride my bike on a logging road and only walk 40 yards to my tree, lol. 3/4 is probably my average but it usually involves old roads or something that makes it easy. I am pretty strategic(lazy) but will do what it takes to get where I need to be. I put far more effort into learning how to hunt an area correctly than actually hunting it. Sometimes easiest way in is best, sometimes not. There are maintained trails by other hunters that I’ll use at times. In fact, PGC made a road into one this year.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Distance really isn’t a issue for me . If I shoot a buck on a work night I will call off. Regarding the drag I will figure out how to get it out of the woods after I find him. There are a few spots however that I have scouted but haven’t worked up the nerve to hunt yet. Don’t know the exact distance but it usually take close to a hour to walk to them. Can’t explain it but for whatever reason they give me a uneasy feeling. Not sure why but whenever I am walking around in these locations I feel uncomfortable and if I hunt them something bad might happen. I know it sounds weird but it’s the only way I can describe it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Steel,

I can't say that I have felt exactly similar, but I have a few spots that I am hesitant to hunt alone or at least within 2 way radio contact with someone.

The only time I truly get an uneasy feeling in the woods has been in turkey season. I have had certain setups where I have felt the need to watch my back very carefully whether I heard other hunters that morning or feel like I am close to a road etc. Especially last year with as many hunters in the woods as there were. Last year I had two cases where I either sat up within 50 yds of another hunter in the dark on a roosted bird and another where I was setup before daylight and had another hunter sneak within 75 yds of my position while the bird gobbled on the roost.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
The one thing that "scares" me about a hunting spot is busting deer on the way in or out. Iv'e got several spots I won't hunt for that reason.

·
Registered
21,028 Posts
Steel,

I can't say that I have felt exactly similar, but I have a few spots that I am hesitant to hunt alone or at least within 2 way radio contact with someone.

The only time I truly get an uneasy feeling in the woods has been in turkey season. I have had certain setups where I have felt the need to watch my back very carefully whether I heard other hunters that morning or feel like I am close to a road etc. Especially last year with as many hunters in the woods as there were. Last year I had two cases where I either sat up within 50 yds of another hunter in the dark on a roosted bird and another where I was setup before daylight and had another hunter sneak within 75 yds of my position while the bird gobbled on the roost.
Distance really isn’t a issue for me . If I shoot a buck on a work night I will call off. Regarding the drag I will figure out how to get it out of the woods after I find him. There are a few spots however that I have scouted but haven’t worked up the nerve to hunt yet. Don’t know the exact distance but it usually take close to a hour to walk to them. Can’t explain it but for whatever reason they give me a uneasy feeling. Not sure why but whenever I am walking around in these locations I feel uncomfortable and if I hunt them something bad might happen. I know it sounds weird but it’s the only way I can describe it.
bobo says bigfoots give off that vibe. i bet there are bigfoots in those areas.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
bobo says bigfoots give off that vibe. i bet there are bigfoots in those areas.
Not a Bigfoot believer but was watching YouTube videos a few years back and found a couple guys searching for him in the area I hunt . It was the dumbest thing I ever saw . Recognized the landscape and new exactly where they were at . Maybe not even a few hundred yards off the road and they were inspecting broken sticks to see if a Sasquatch did it . Totally insane. Especially considering I have been all over that mountain for years and spent countless hours archery hunting and turkey hunting it but these guys walk a little ways from a parking area and get in to Bigfoot sign. 😜

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
I have some crazy neighbors who bring the entire team up every spring from the Oklahoma paranormal society to look for ghosts and bigfoot.Unfortuntely,it usually coincides with the first week of spring gobbler season and they trample over the place looking for Bigfoot and Indian ghosts.The only good thing that comes from it is I get an opportunity to show my kids what drugs can do to a person.Yes,the hill I live on is according to them," is a hotbed for bigfoot activity".

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Let me know if any of you guys want your hunting area investigated. PM your address and I will forward it to them.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I don't really think about how far back in or hard it will be to get an animal out when it comes to chasing after a big buck. I won't put myself through the work and effort to shoot a doe, but will walk for miles with no regard to what it will take if I do shoot a buck this far back in. Been studying some OnX map pins that the outfitter in Montana shared with me and a few of the places I want explore I realize I probably won't make it back to the drop camp that night if I get to chasing a bull elk late in the day. But I plan on being prepared to spend the night if I have to versus trying to walk out in the dark in steep terrain.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Not a Bigfoot believer but was watching YouTube videos a few years back and found a couple guys searching for him in the area I hunt . It was the dumbest thing I ever saw . Recognized the landscape and new exactly where they were at . Maybe not even a few hundred yards off the road and they were inspecting broken sticks to see if a Sasquatch did it . Totally insane. Especially considering I have been all over that mountain for years and spent countless hours archery hunting and turkey hunting it but these guys walk a little ways from a parking area and get in to Bigfoot sign. 😜
Your fine! Only sighting I hear was in Harrisburg,People have said they seen Sasquatch near the capital. After a extensive investigation It was Lt.Gov.Fetterman. running with a Wolf

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Your fine! Only sighting I hear was in Harrisburg,People have said they seen Sasquatch near the capital. After a extensive investigation It was Lt.Gov.Fetterman. running with a Wolf
I can see the resemblance. :)

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
21,028 Posts
i heard that but the investigator said it was Levine (small squatch)

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
I plan on being prepared to spend the night if I have to versus trying to walk out in the dark in steep terrain.
That's how we did it when we hunted out west. Make a small camp fairly close to the elk. No sense walking down 3 hours then walking back up 3 hours after we found them, just to get 6 hours sleep. Hopefully your outfitter is on board with it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts