The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Camp #1 is 2.5 hours away. Been there once in the last two years. Camp #2 is 20 minutes away from home. Been there almost three days a week for the last two years.
I really miss camp #1 but have to be realistic about family time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think what you need is in my driveway, and winterized.

Family camp/cabin is 3hrs away.
Too far for us usually, with todays busy lifestyle, we both work + kids.
I always talk about going up, but seldom do.

Our ideal location would be no more than 1.5hrs away.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
One camp is 15 minutes away...one 2.5 hours. the 15 minute camp is a double edge sword though, cause when you are "at camp" you really aren't. now if i travel all the way to potter camp..I am AT CAMP, not running home because of this or that came up.

Both have their +'s and -'s, not sure if there is a perfect distance for a 40 something with kids. One we can ge to anytime, but always seem to have somewhere else to get too before to long., the other we get to seldom, but when there we are there for days without interuption.

LOL Steve (deer archer) just read your post, we sure are alike brother..LOL

·
Registered
95 Posts
Live in Beaver county - camp #1 is 9 hours away (45 miles SE of Ottawa). Camp #2 is also 9 hours away (real close to #1), camp #3 is Elk county - 2.5 hours away. Sad thing is I spend more time at the first two than the closer one. Took me a long time to realize that the anticipation (including the drive) is as much fun as being there.

Only downside is the long drive home is that much more miserable...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Camp in southern Potter Co. is 235 miles away from here in MD, or about 4.5 hrs with a stop in Snow Shoe. Get there about 12 times a year, many times by myself. My girls are both out of college now, would not have been able to do this when they were younger because of sports, school activities, etc.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Dr. Lanpher (RIP) formerly in Towson Maryland and York PA, had a hunting and fishing camp in Wyoming. A bit far for weekends.

My former neighbors (school teachers) had a place and boat in Nova Scotia, where they both volunteered in some sort of Canadian Coast Guard Aux. Of course they had the summers off to do so. He would go back up for a week in the fall and they would go at the holidays for hunting.

My Uncle had a place about 14 miles from home where he would go to hunt (or when he was in the doghouse with my aunt.)

But a couple I know live just 4 miles from their weekend place. The reason they don't move there is the road is "No Winter Maintenance" and they need to be able to get to work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My camp is 7 miles from my house. I love it, not only is it located where we do all of our hunting, but it is also nice to be able to go mow the yard after work and do other chores. That way our weekends aren't taken up working 12 hours a day, just 8 hours a day!! LOL!

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
I noticed many years ago that I enjoy the 3+ hour trip to camp, far more than the trip home. Although the "going" trip always seems to take longer than the "coming home" one does?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
my long trips5.5 hrs are there is no one to talk too the wife the kid and the 2 dogs are asleep before he get on 322...so ita long quiet ride...lol

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
No disrespect to anyone at all...I know I complained about the 3hr trip to ur camp but I couldnt imagine living only a few miles from camp. I mean I know its a place away from home but you dont "get away from it all" in my opinion

·
Registered
761 Posts
Travel 6 hours to my place. Would never give it up god willing. I have given up hunting close to home unless I get a invite from a friend. Makes me enjoy the camp even more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DennyF said:
I noticed many years ago that I enjoy the 3+ hour trip to camp, far more than the trip home. Although the "going" trip always seems to take longer than the "coming home" one does?

that is the truth - I always thought the same thing

·
Registered
21 Posts
My camp is 80 miles, just under 2hrs travel. This seems about right for getting away but not spending half a day on the road. It's true the drive up does become part of the experience, but having driven over 5 hours to another camp, I'd trade the added seclusion of that camp for a few extra hours sitting in my chair in front of the fire!

Regardless of how far you drive, I'm sure everyone can relate to the sense of anticipation you get on the drive up, and then getting there and the promise of opening the door and seeing the place as you left it weeks or months before. Also feeling like you're leaving a friend behind when you have to close it down at the end of the stay, looking back as you close the door, wishing you could stay another day.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
171farm said:
No disrespect to anyone at all...I know I complained about the 3hr trip to ur camp but I couldnt imagine living only a few miles from camp. I mean I know its a place away from home but you dont "get away from it all" in my opinion
You make a good point and I understand your view. My counterpoint:
1) Everyday I get to go for a walk, observe and absorb the changes. Nature doesn't stand still.
2) No travel, saving time and money. Well it is 1.7 miles and 2.8 miles to my other road frontage.
3) Habitat management is a convenient activity and I can do it whenever a free hour exists
4) Property security is something I can attend to easily
5) Camp is where I want to be most, and I feel blessed that it's also home

I felt the same as you when I originally bought the land 23 years ago. I lived 3 hours away, but the land was 15 minutes from where I was raised. It was great when I got to spend the whole weekend there. But I wouldn't want to move away, sacrificing every day for every hour of occasional weekends.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Ole' Raspy said:
Few things, I hate in this world, but closing the door and locking camp up to come home is one of them...
Me too. I try to hold on to the first hour or so that I am there because the time passes so quickly. My cabin is 175 miles from home and takes me about 3.75 hours, well worth it. It would be quicker if I took the pike, but I prefer another way.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts