The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've narrowed the camp search down to three. My only concern is the travel time is a solid 3 hrs to get to warren Co. from my house. I have another opportunity at a place in Ligonier westmoreland Co that's only one hour away, but its just something about being up north that draws me....So, how far do you travel to get to camp, and how often do you go?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Live in Philadelphia and our camp is in Potter county, an easy 5 hours. The drive isn't so bad but can get old. The price of gas is definitely a factor sometimes as well is the drive. I'm sure I would get up there more often if the drive wasn't as far, it's tough to get up for a quick weekend. That being said I have been to other camps in Sullivan, Luzerne, pike and counties which are definitely nice but not the same as being in Potter to me. I guess though you have to look at how much you will be able to utilize the camp and that should help justify the purchase. Either way best of luck on whichever you choose I'm sure lots of memories will made no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I live in Washington county and have a camp in Cross Fork Potter county. 4 hr drive is not bad. My experience with camps closer to the major cities is alot more pressure/influx of people in the closer destinations to the major cities with the shorter drive times. Had a bad experience at another camp that was close to home with poor neighbors whose camp was an hour from their home near PGH and I could never seem to miss running into them while I was there. Just my two cents though. Good luck in making your choice.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Live in Cambria county and have a camp in Tioga...3hours door to door. By no means am I rich but gas prices though a burden, to me travel time is more of an issue. To make a trip worth while, you almost either have to take friday or monday off which with a small child and wife doesnt happen (if taking time off its to spend with them).

If you plan to leave friday at 5, it usually ends up being 5:30-6 so your pulling in around 9. Unpack stoke a fire and turn on the water (which usually doesnt happen on short trips) and its easily 10-10:30. If you want to hunt early in the morning its pretty much time to go to bed without relaxing and enjoying camp for a little bit. Now fast forward to sat...up early to hunt eating a cold breakfast so not to have to wash dishes or smelling of eggs, bacon or the like. You go to the woods prelight and hunt all day coming home at dark. Either whip up something at camp for dinner but usually eat at the Log Cabin Inn. Come back and enjoy camp a little and go to bed. Sunday usually is a sleep in day, get up pack up and leave around noon to get home around 3-4 to allow for unpacking and relaxing a little.

Actually we usually never stick to the plan above. Get to camp unpack and sit around the fire getting to be way later than liking to get up early. Either sleep in a little sat or get up and nap in the woods
Stay up again sat while sleeping in sunday. Wake Up tired again but leave at a decent hour to get home and relax. All in all a great weekend and cant wait to get back again.

If camp was closer to home we would use it much more frequently. If I were to spend my own money on purchasing a camp, I would make sure to get there as often as I could to justify the purchasing cost. Our camp is long paid for by my dad and 2 uncles. They pay all the bills and such so its free to me. I know thats a terrible way to look at it but its true. They go even less frequently than I

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Live in Washington Co and drive 4 hours to Lycoming Co around a dozen or more times a year, its nice to have a place away from it all

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
465 miles one way for me. Usually 8 hours door to door, counting a stop for a sit-down meal. Yes, I usually take off a Friday to make it worth the trip. I've made 11 trips so far this year. I'm with Joe when he says "The drive does you good."

$4/gallon gas makes it spendy to go, but hard to put a price on the benefits I reap.

The answer to "Too far?" is all relative to who's asking the question, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> It's NEVER to far to go to camp doing something, I love to do & spend time w/ people who enjoy the same interests as me....

Can't wait for the next "ROAD TRIP" to Centre county...Come on turkey season...</span>

·
Registered
320 Posts
I lived in Nebraska for 5 of the 39 years of owning my Forest County camp, that makes my 400 mile drive seem short now. Ole' Raspy says it all.......

·
Registered
690 Posts
My camp is two hours exactly. I have to say it is nice, the drive is never a factor as too whether I go or not. I have made several day trips for various reasons.

I also drive 4 hours to Potter county once a year to a buddy's camp, but wouldn't want to do that as much as I go to my place.

I think you need to decide the area you want to hunt and go from there. Distance would certainly be a factor for me.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my trip is 2 hours if i go route 30 and hour and 45 min if i take the PA TP. i usually take 30. i've went up there for the day quite a few times. a few years ago, me and my brother and boys went up early in the morning, ripped off the porch and put a new one back on and drove home the same day. i have also forgotten things there and shot down there after work on a monday after being there all weekend, hang out for the night and drive straight into work in Pgh the next morning. long commute but not bad.

i love potter and used to spend a lot of time up in the cross fork area. back in the 90's camps were a dime a dozen up that way and i considered buying one for a northern camp. but its 4.5 hours easy and in iffy weather it's a lot more.

you living in washco could find something in somerset, bedford or southern cambria counties that would be 2 hours or so drive.

ligonier is nice but crowded. SGL 42 is massive and mountainous but the deer herd is real, real low. i pretty much gave up hunting that SGL. further south down 381 from ligonier is forbes SF which is in the same situation. lots of public land, but lots of guys and not much deer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
2 hours for me. we looked hard at 4 hours and thought it would just be too far to enjoy frequently. So we held out for another couple of years until we found one closer. Now we have made multiple day trips.
It's all in your comfort level as to what you are willing to do for camp

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If we don't stop at all (never happens unless I am alone) it's 1 hour and 45 min to camp (we live in Cleveland and camp is in Coshocton Oh). I'm not a huge fan of pulling in after dark but we do it all the time. If I can't leave work a little early on Friday then we end up on the road around 7 and pull in around 9. Usually we stop and pick up Subway and eat after we get unloaded.

I actually wish it were a little closer, but I would never want more than a 3 hour drive. My buddy's camp is in Forest County and that was about 3 hours +/- We used to do that trip weekly fall turkey thru Rifle season.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I live just outside of Philly. I'm a member of a camp in Mckean Co. (6hrs) It really feels like you get away when you're at camp. No cell service 3 channels on the tv... it's fantastic.

We used to go to Monroe Co. to do all of our fishing etc. It no longer feels the same as it did years ago. It's too close, It's way too overcrowded and too easy to "run to walmart"

·
Registered
25,471 Posts
I live west of Harrisburg, camp is in the NW corner of Tioga County, right next to the Potter and NY lines. It's a minimum 3 hour, 15 minute trip one way. Just came back from there yesterday.

That's a lot of driving, but I'm kinda "used to it", because that's where my dad was born and raised. So we've been making that trip all of my life. When I was a kid it took 4-1/2 hours to get "there", but better vehicles/better roads have shaved'er down to the current travel time. It's still a "haul" and the older I get, the less appealing it is, but I don't plan any changes.

Would I like a shorter drive to get to camp? Darn right, but it wouldn't be quite the same, since where camp is means a bit more than just a place to hunt. There's family in the area and it's where I started deer hunting over 50 years ago.

One of my Potter kin moved to eastern Ohio to work, when he graduated from college. His hunting camp then, was near Marienville and he kept it when they relocated to Raleigh, NC some years ago. For the next 22 years he made that 10+ hour trip to his PA deer camp each fall. Finally sold it last year, but he said he still misses the place.

Camp is where the heart is, be it a one hour drive or an all day "project" to get to it, my opinion?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It doesnt matter how far. What does matter is the desire to be there. If you want to be there, you will. It sounds to me like you would prefer the northern part of the state, so you would probably use that camp more. I think you have already made the decision.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
I live in the south hills of pittsburgh, camp in hallton, elk county. 3 hours door to door and wouldn`t want it anymore than that. When we were looking for a camp, 3 hours was at the top of my limit. I was looking in tidioute, warren county at 2 1/2 hours, but couldn`t find anything that wasn`t overpriced or other factors.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i live in bridgeville and camp in tidioute it is a nice drive and i wouldnt have it any other way. I like being up in the mountains. Granted i see more deer when i hunt down here closer to home. But the mountains are were i learned to hunt and killed my first deer. Many memories have created up in those giant woods. I will be buying a camp next spring and i know that i will be up there so i can pass it on to my son

1 - 20 of 68 Posts