The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone cane help me out with this, but I was wondering, if I was shooting at crows with 12 guarge, #4 - 6 shot, high-brass shells, out of a full/turkey choke, how far do you think the pellets travel in the air before coming down? The reason I ask is I have permission to crow hunt a piece of property with some fields surrounded by woods, but in the outskirts around the property, there are houses ranging from a couple hundred yards, to 1/4 mile + away. I haven't hunted there yet, and didn't want to be raining shot down on anyone.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Heavier larger shot pellets travel farther and inflict more damage on impact.If someone was outside their house and got hit in the eye with a pellet guess who is responsible for medical bills????

·
Registered
927 Posts
I shoot them with #5 hogh brass and they just fly off! haha its happend like 10times. you could try steel shot it is lighter in density and it will not go as far, also look at wikipedia I thonk they have your answer.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Try experimenting on your own house and let us know the results.... j/k Sorry I couldn't resist.

G

·
0 Posts
I like #6 high brass remington shells for my crow hunting.

I have already had pellets bounce off my coat pheasant hunting at the game lands.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Just remember if your shot lands within a safety zone you could be charged with that even though you didn't fire in a safety zone. I know a waterfowl guy got nailed with that a few years ago.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
be safe and don't shoot in the direction of the closest homes. in the NRA instructors manual, if I remember correctly, 00 buck will travel 300 yards or more.
(at the proper angle)

not sure about bird shot. lot of factors involved, velocity, angle, wind, etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts