The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this question ever been asked on HuntingPA? It might help newbies and vets understand how far the deer are actually running for the PA archery hunter.
The answer would be illuminating since PA has so many archery deer hunters.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I belive you can take 10 deer with the same shot placement and have different out comes. But the last one was caught both lungs and heart. Ran 20 yards stoped looked around and fell over dead.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The last buck I shot ran/walked 22 yards, looked around and fell over (double lung)

On average, the buck I hit go 50-75 yards and drop. Last years buck went a little over 150 yards.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I agree that each deer is different. My buck this year went about a 100yds high double lung shot .

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
last one i trailed went close to a mile with a high double lung, quartering away shot. we had to pull the broadhead out of the opposite shoulder with pliers. i wouldn't have beleived it if i hadn't seen it.

last one i shot went 75 yds on a very poor shot. down within sight. guess that makes it a good shot?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1 doe in Ohio so far this year, she went 100 yards (single lung/liver, near straight down shot). Most have gone 50-100 yards for me

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
shot 2 doe this year... first one slight quartering towards shot, hit tight against shouler to compensate for angle, she ran about 40 yards, stopped, looked around and rolled over... 2nd doe perfect broadside, 20 yards, heart/lung shot. ran approx 60-70 yards stopped and fell right over... If you double lung a deer, it'll go down within 100 yards. Imagine not being able to breath while running flat out for 100 yards... ya can't do it..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Doe I shot on Friday night went 500 yards. Jumped her and picked up the trail the next morning and she went another 500 yards to where she piled up. One lung and liver.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts